Wow.. Avis was the cheapest option

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by JetsettingEric, May 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going up to YYZ (Toronto Canada) during a Canadian long weekend. I usually go with Hertz, they treat me well and my rate was reasonable ($30ish / day + taxes /fees which was a little over $80 for a 2 day rental after a $10 off coupon). Checked priceline, and autoslash, didn't give me anything compelling. I could save $20 by going off airport on a shuttle with payless.

Toronto has an unusual rental car setup. unlike the traditional US centralized rental car facilities with buses roaming, Toronto has a separate facility in each terminal. I was flying in on American which is in the smaller T3 so I wanted to make sure the car rental company had a decent presence there, especially for a late flight. I gave Avis a shot.

I was blown away at how much cheaper avis was. With a $10 coupon from the website and no corp codes, I was at $55/day all-in for a compact, a good 30% less than hertz and cheaper than the offsite payless.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had luck with Avis in Florida occasionally being the cheapest option. Never seems to be the case out west.:confused: ??

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the cars I booked through discounthawaiicarrental.com in Hilo was with Avis, because they were cheaper than anyone else. I guess they had some extra cars that day. :)