Wow ... and I thought flying from Canada was bad

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by maradori, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the aircanada.com websaver deals of the week and saw http://www.aircanada.com/en/us/offe...bsaver_fares.html?src=hp_wn#SFO-INT_US-SFOLHR ... SFO-LHR is only $278 each way

I know this fare looks way too cheap to be true, but how bad is it? I randomly chose depart Mar 02 and return Mar 07 SFO-YYZ-LHR-YYZ-SFO (approx 11,630mi)

Base fare: $302 + YQ $292 = Subtotal $594 (not bad ...)
    Canadian taxes: AIF $29.34 + HST $3.81 = $33.15
    US taxes: Agriculture $5 + Pax Facility Charge $4.50 + US Federal Customs Fee (wat?) $5 + 9/11 Fee $2.50 + US Immigration User Fee $7.00 (wat??) = $24
    UK taxes: UK Pax Service Charge $36.89 + UK Air Pax Duty $96.23 = $133.12

Wow .. just wow ... I've always heard how expensive it is to fly out of LHR but o...m....g.... they charge like 4x Canadian taxes!!

AC_MM likes this.
  2. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:

I have just given up flying into LHR out of my own pocket, they have officially lost the plot.

My new thing is to fly into Manchester. So much easier and less stressful. Oh I forgot so much cheaper in taxes too! [​IMG]

If it's business travel then I will consider LHR, that the only way now!

3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    That looks like the right price at the moment. Tomorrow I will be flying LAX-PHL-FRA-CPH on a return ticket. I used a $600 voucher and only had to pay $107 in taxes. I guess the fare was less than $600.

It is winter and nobody is flying to Europe. Btw. In the winter I often find that lots of fares between Europe and USA are almost identical for any city in the US. Never mind the 2500 miles cross the US.

4. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You´re right, the fare difference between Europe-East Coast and Europe-West Coast has decreased, but IMO the main reason is that AC has pulled the cheap fares Europe-East Coast, just a year ago AC reguarly had fares in the $450a.i. range to the East Coast, pices have definitely gone up now that the economy has slightly recovered.