Would You Spend $1,954 On One Dinner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Oct 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-tra...ham-steak-restaurant-1954-miami-beach-florida

Since its grand opening in 1954, the iconic Fontainebleau Hotel on Miami Beach has been a magnet for celebrities—from classic Hollywood heavyweights like Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley, to modern-day pop stars like Miley Cyrus. To celebrate its upcoming 60th birthday, the famed hotel has created the “1954 Dining Experience”—a one-of-a-kind upscale culinary experience that’s worth a whopping $1,954 for a single meal.

“The 1954 Dining Experience celebrates the Fontainebleau’s history with an evening that captures the glamour of the past, the allure of the present, and a vision of tomorrow,” said chef de cuisine Derrick Roberts.

The meal, fashioned by Gotham Steak executive chef Alfred Portale, begins with a bottle of Louis Roderer Cristal champagne, followed by several courses of Petrossian Royal Osetra Caviar, Alaskan King Crab, and fresh oysters (from both coasts). Afterward, you’ll enjoy chilled steamed lobster, which serves only to prepare you for the protein de résistance—a 12-ounce Japanese Wagyu strip steak, served, naturally, with a savory lineup of decadent side dishes and sauces. Diners who’ve saved room for dessert will indulge in an artisanal cheese selection plus two sweet treats created especially for this dinner by Fontainebleau’s award-winning pastry-making staff.

Read More: http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-tra...ham-steak-restaurant-1954-miami-beach-florida

Sweet Willie, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note the price is for two.

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not paying for just dinner, you're paying for the experience, too. The caviar alone retails for $144/ounce. Wagyu can run $200/12oz. This is easily $500+ worth of food per person.

uggboy likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd consider cash and points. . .

mht_flyer, uggboy and viguera like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whew, that's better! :)

uggboy likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Hopefully one can actually book it. I tried to reserve a sushi restaurant in Tokyo that costs $400.00 per person and I was told that they are full for the next month and a half. Since we are going there next week, it is a meal we will be missing.

uggboy likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's Tokyo. I'm sure you can find Starbuck's that costs $400.00 per person.

uggboy likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No wine other than the champagne?

uggboy likes this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nor tax and tip! But it does include admission to a nightclub with a nightcap included.

uggboy likes this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um, no.

clscholes, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess, it's more about the PR than getting a real offer here, while some will take up this particular offer and enjoy it, it's really about getting the word out about this hotel, let's face it, they celebrate 60 years, that's an achievement and to get attention these days, even hotels have to shout out louder than the rest.

12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crystal sounds great to me, haven't tried it yet. :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Nov. 2010 we had a fabulous nearly 3h formal lunch at the Sant Pau Restaurant @ Nihonbashi in Tokyo. I remember it fondly, the famous chef Carme Ruscalleda was also there on a stint in her restaurant and we had a beautiful meal service, the most colorful food and overall a great time. The restaurant has retained it's 2 Michelin stars and I would go in a heartbeat again to Tokyo and have lunch there with my better half. Well worth the journey, a culinary journey that is.

estnet and jbcarioca like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some years ago I completed a major project for a client in Tokyo. The client was quite elated and asked me to invite my two chief deputies to Joel Robuchon at his expense, to compliment them for their excellence. he'd already taken us all to several spectacular meals that certainly were as expensive as this one because or more so. The final bill for three of us was US$8,529, or $2,843 per person. It isn't possible for me to think a meal can be worth that much, but if one can be this one was. I'll never forget this one.

sobore, anileze, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  16. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You hiring? :cool:

AUSsie and Espan like this.
  17. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How? I just looked at the menu for Joel Robuchon Tokyo and even the degustation is ~$411 PP after service charge. That would imply over $7000 in alcohol. I've been to my fair share of $200+ PP meals and unless you're ordering extremely rare wines it'd be hard for me to see more than $500 or so in wine per bottle. Or is wine even that much more inflated than at a similar restaurant in Las Vegas or New York? Just wondering how a meal can cost $2800 PP.

Espan likes this.
  18. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope :eek: But if you do!!! Use your Chase Saphire & get 2X the points

19. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    and no FOREX fee ;)

uggboy and ariosto like this.
  20. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if you are in Barcelona you should try her restaurant there! Amazing food, great view and cheaper than Tokyo ;)

uggboy likes this.
  21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, it's on our list, when in Barcelona / area again. There's also the Memories restaurant at the MO Barcelona, it's run by her son, it's already awarded 2 Michelin Stars too.

22. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well seen. :cool:

23. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Masa in Time Warner Center in New York, can run you a bill of about $1000 easily with various sake tasting along with the omakase. Wine certainly is a bill inflator. If one is not really nuanced in the tasting of wine, then the subtly of $2000 bottle and $20 bottle would be lost on him/her.

On the other hand, there are places in London that charge you pretty penny for just a shot of single malt vintage scotch !

Now, few single malts and a fine cigar or rare clear summer sky over Edinburgh !! That I can live with ;)

uggboy likes this.
  24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can't believe anything at that hotel would be worth $2000, even with a week's stay included :p

But if you fully cost my dinner at El Bulli ... it was ~ 500 euros for 2 people but I had to fly to Barcelona, I had hotel nights and the train out near Roses, etc... it couldn't have been far off. I did fly British Airways, after all and while fuel surcharges weren't what they are now I think the all-in taxes/fees for the award tickets were ~ $350pp.

So yes I guess I would spend that for a meal, but doubt I would spend it for this one. ;)

Espan and anileze like this.
  25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you add a week's stay to the dinner they give you a 20% discount.

Espan and gleff like this.