Would You Pay $700 a Night (and Up) To Stay At These NYC Hotels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Happy with the NYC rates shown here? Would you pay for a night?

This poll will close on Aug 14, 2096 at 10:28 AM.
  1. YES!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO!

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Would You Pay $700 a Night (and Up) To Stay At These NYC Hotels? ||

The rates seem to be a little bit too "rich" for my taste. ;)

SuperKirby and sobore like this.
  2. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have to agree with you. I guess someone is paying for it though if they keep charging it.

uggboy likes this.
  3. FF Djohnson

FF Djohnson New Member

Status Points:
    After a certain point it seems like the prices are high just to be high. They can't honestly justify charging so much money for a night's stay. I suppose it's meant to cater to those with whom money is no object. Still, it alienates a lot of others.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must be businesses that feel the necessity of having someone close to the client is more important than having someone near to the client. Or could also be foreign business travelers that have not learned the city well enough to find a less outrageous priced hotel that would require a $15 cab ride to the client.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If money was no object, I would NOT be staying at a Sheraton.

Mapsmith, icurhere2 and uggboy like this.
  6. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would never pay $700/nt to stay anywhere in NYC, even if my company was paying. I have never paid that much anywhere in the world, even high cost locales like London and Moscow.

For personal trips I would priceline 4* or 5* or use points.

I don't understand why anyone would be tied to one particular chain or property when there are at least 100 satisfactory upscale hotels in NYC, and 100s more that are a cut below.

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    These rates seem in line with some sort of city wide event - did they mention what might be going on? For a chain to charge this much in my experience is due to a convention or other meeting. these are FS and Peninsula rates to me not Sheraton or Kimpton.
    I was looking in London for a trip that was to be this week and the Sofitel was charging $900 for a king room and everyone else was in same space due to the flower show and a huge football match that has the city jammed

8. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most I have ever paid for a hotel any where was for a 2.5 * Comfort Inn at Midtown West in NYC. The cost was $250 plus taxes and fees on Priceline -- thus over $300 per night. It was graduation weekend and there was not a room to be had anywhere. The hotel served our purpose but the room was so small our daughter had to stay with relatives.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's just supply and demand. For whatever reason there is enough demand to justify such prices. Absent profiteering in time of disaster usually limited by local inkeeper laws this is business as usual.

Mapsmith and viguera like this.
  10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Absolutely. Summer in NYC is outrageous, obscene even.

I'm looking for 3 rooms during the first weekend in August for an event my wife is planning and the cheapest I'm seeing is $250-300 for what I would call "3 - 3 1/2 star" hotels (Doubletree downtown or dumps like the Pennsylvania). Even the airport hotels are around that rate, before you add the rather outlandish taxes and fees.

But at $600+ I would expect at least an RC or the Setai.

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

Try that HomeAway link I posted. for $500 a night you should be able to get an entire brownstone with at least three bedrooms. It may be a little late to be looking for August (and lots of renters have three night minimums), but anyone who still has those dates open is probably eager to fill them.

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Setai changed flags from Capella to Langham and is now a Langham Place.

http://newyork.langhamplacehotels.com/

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I should know this, seeing how I'm 1865 Voyager (thanks to Milepoint, of course).

Doesn't change the fact that "Best Available" rate is still $695 in August though :)

15. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a nj resident.... Wtf is in the water there?

Wow. Just wow.

People have to be nuts to pay that. Spend 2 nights and you can get the rest of the month for free renting a NYC apartment for the month.

I am still in shock. A fool and their money are soon parted.

Stay in jersey or try downtown.

viguera likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Well some tourists don't come to New York on vacation to stay in Jersey, albeit I agree that it's convenient and relatively easy to get to. I can understand the appeal though, as even during the same dates I'm looking in August places right across the river are 1/2 the price or cheaper, but some people want to stay "in the middle of everything" -- and I guess I can't blame them.

As per the apartment bit, I know that it makes sense financially but like I said, when you're on vacation you have a different mindset. I know whenever I go somewhere specifically on vacation with no intention of lifting a finger I want to be able to step out and come back and have everything cleaned up for me, not have to worry about cooking, etc.

davef139 and Mapsmith like this.
  17. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe, I know, the apartment thing was tongue in cheek, but seriously, vrbo would be good here.

The hotels in weehawken would be awesome. The bonus is you get a nice ride on ferry.

Even if you are well off... $700 a night for a cramped NYC hotel with mediocre service? How can anyone justify it. Move your vacation to a different month.

18. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is not too much You should want to add more Zero for My standers Rate, Just

Mapsmith likes this.
  19. Jumping Jehosaphat
    Original Member

Jumping Jehosaphat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hell no! I am staying in NYC in October, and I am sticking with a good ol' reliable hotel on Broadway for more than half that a night (willing to pay full price for miles on this run). Or you can stay in Jersey for less than $100/night (even the Hotel Indigo in Rahway is fairly cheap). I do agree that vrbo is a good option if you are not interested in miles (I am using them for a stay in FL in September in a huge house with 7 others). Their condos/apartments are usually fairly cheap and have a lot more space than the Sheraton.

....The only thing that might temp me is if this were the hotel that has the cat in the lobby.

20. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am interested to learn more about people's experience with homeaway and VRBO. Do you find the online reviews reliable?

21. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guy I work with paid $6xx. for the DT Times Sq last year. He was fairly happy with it as it was the middle of where he wanted to be, but he had 3 kids and whatnot, this was the weekend after the 4th I think too. i am curious what day they are looking, not sure if anyone has ever tried to find a room on big NYC events but $700 doesn't that unreasonable.