Would you pay 25000 more points for CX F vs CX J?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by corz123, Mar 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. Going to be doing a booking with Alaskan Airlines. I was thinking that the AA chart would be 55000 for J and 67500 for F. In Alaskan's case it's 50000 vs 70000 so hence a 20k difference instead of 12500. I also only have 50k in that account so I'd need to move in 20k SPG points to be able to get a F booking. Would you guys pay 20k SPG or 25k alaskan for this? it's a long haul from hkg to jfk. Thoughts?

daninstl, Newscience and LIH Prem like this.
  2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's quite a dilemma, CX business is better than any US airlines F IMHO, so you can't lose either way.

I'm not following your math, but have you found availability for what you want and both F and C are available?

The AA award chart is the better one, and don't forget about the 10% rebate now with both sets of AA credit cards (up to 10k per year each on award redemptions.)

I recently redeemed one on AA and one using Alaska miles. Only F was available for the dates I was looking at, but I wouldn't have hesitated with AA and had no problem booking the other one with Alaska miles, though my initial goal was to book business class awards with the Alaska miles. I haven't flown either one yet, but i'm looking forward to those flights.

It is a long flight and if you want the most comfortable and over the top option (krug, caviar, great bed/bedding), pony up the extra miles, but either way it will be great. Or you can try both, split the award and book F in one direction (hopefully outbound) and C in the other direction so you can try both in long haul.

Lucky (One Mile at a Time) just published a review of CX F on ORD-HKG.

-David

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you can earn more points I'd go the highest class available. I've never flown first and wished I didn't spend the extra points.

I Did fly Qatar business and find it almost as good as first, but still if Qatar first was offered I'd take that that.

Our two trips in CX first have been great and in no way compare to the ongoing CX business flights in Asia. But I don't know if long haul CX business is comparable to say HKG SIN.

Also if your only option is a late night flight in CX from JFK I might take business. I for one like the drinks, caviar and food. It would not be quite the same in a breakfast and snack flight.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  4. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah hey guys. thanks for the response. typically i got for F on AA's chart since it's 67500 vs 55000 for a difference of 12500. With Alaska's chart it's 50k vs 70 vs so If I need to xfer SPG points in it'll be a 20k transfer for the 70k redemption w/ 5k of orphan points in AS. Hence was curious hehe.

daninstl likes this.
  5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do a search on my profile and you'll see my recent flight from YVR-JFK on CX F.

I'd recommend F over J any time :)

daninstl likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's worth it for the experience over J but...it's like asking if you should spend $400 on a nice suite at a resort with a view of the street out front or $500 for a little nicer suite and beach front view. It all depends on what you enjoy for your money/miles. I personally don't think I would trade 20k in SPG currency for the upgrade but then again I might if it was a vacation.

Sammich likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a trip to PEK, next month. FC, you bet...

12,5 extra each way, never look back...

Cost only one CC application, no big deal...

Enjoy the ride..