Would You Like a Free Car with Your Rental?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by HiIslands, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we returned our rental car in Los Angeles the other night, the agent used his scanner on the bar code on the vehicle's dashboard. Nothing. He asked to see our contract and scanned its bar code. Nothing.
    "Hmmm. Maybe the computer's down." He copied the vehicle information onto a piece of paper and directed us to a long line inside.
    "We don't have any record of this vehicle being rented!" the surprised agent told us. "In fact, we don't even have any information about its whereabouts or that you rented any car from us. The computer says you were a 'no-show'. You could have just kept this car and we'd have never known the difference."
    She manually computed the rental charge from the information we provided her. She came up with a higher cost than our online rental agreement. We showed her our printout and she adjusted her rate downward to match ours.
    "Thank you for being so honest" she said in parting.

Hmmm.

2soonold likes this.
  2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes you wonder how often cars get stolen with the whole "we don't even have any information about its whereabouts"

HiIslands likes this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a senior citizen. I was pulled over in rural Oklahoma for a minor infraction. Good thing I had my rental contract, as the car I had picked up in Dallas could not be determined to have been properly registered!

HiIslands likes this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find this all quite amazing.

2soonold likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very rarely stolen. Misplaced more frequently than you would ever guess.

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they frequently misplace vehicles it puzzles me how they can manage inventory and match supply with demand. And if a vehicle is misplaced, how do they know it's not stolen? This is an interesting side of the rental car business I'd not been exposed to before.

2soonold and sobore like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typically what can occur is that a customer is in the "wrong vehicle" i.e. differing from what is inside the system.