Would You Go To Greece This Summer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Pizzaman, Jun 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I follow the news on a regular basis and have been watching the situation in Greece with interest as we have an upcoming trip planned for the family.

The most recent news shows talks between Greece and their various creditors/EU/IMF going poorly. Like most things in politics, I expect that if a deal is to be made, it will be at the very last minute (end of June, in this case).

I still feel fine taking our trip this summer, but I'm wondering what folks here would use as a barometer to bail on the trip.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rioting in the streets? And then only if you are committed to staying only in Athens - if you're hiring a car and happy being elsewhere, I'm not sure even mild rioting in Athens would be a showstopper.

I can't imagine lynch mobs running wild in the streets. As grumpy as the Greeks may be, I doubt we'll see public executions or even beatings of German tourists. We might see a burning effigy of Angela Merkel, but that sounds more like a cultural experience than a reason to stay home.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I haven't really internalized much in the way of concern yet and I'm really not sure if I'm being too cavalier

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just go. We went a few years ago, just after the riots in Athens ... and there wasn't a peep about it anywhere else.

If anything it'll drive prices down.

iolaire likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, part of me welcomes them trying to print Lira. :)

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd only bail on a trip if I felt like it would be unsafe, that the purpose of the trip would be severely compromised by events without good alternative, or that the logistics would become untenable. I don't see safety as an issue, but may as well monitor the situation in case events would lead to e.g. transportation delays/cancellations, and if such delays would affect your schedule too much.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would they print Lira? That was the national currency in Italy, the Greek had drachmas.

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too hot in the summer......

9. martyfly

martyfly Active Member

Status Points:
    Flying back from Greece right now and spent last 8 days in Santorini. Very little impact of the Greece-EU economic crisis noted by us except for a line of 5 people at an ATM on Friday.

There are cash withdrawal limits for Greek bank account holders. No issues noted by us with our US bank cards and taking out cash.

Tourism is huge part of Greek economy and with July/August being high vacation season in the Greek islands, can't imagine there with be much in way of protests that would disrupt tourists spending money that would help their economy.

Did talk with several hotel and restaurant staff about referendum all with wide range of opinions but much more civilized than a US political discussion ;-) and will be interesting to see how their vote turns out

Pizzaman likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've heard there have been protests about the vote at major tourist attractions, but I'd expect those to be gone shortly. The rest really depends on the vote and what the EU is willing to do now. I think Tsipras has his misjudged his bargaining power.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My bad. Getting old Euro currencies confused in my doddering mind.

12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they go back to the drachmas it will most likely spend like the lira:D.
    If my schedule (no advance planning) and a decent airfare show up I'd go!

HaveMilesWillTravel and Pizzaman like this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pay like a Euro, get a florint service ? ;)

Newscience and Pizzaman like this.
  14. agsoccer32

agsoccer32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like if you bring enough euros and/or have prebooked a few things it should be ok. I also think that travel to some of the islands like Mykonos and Santorini that have a lot of tourists continually coming in will not be as affected as the country as a whole. I have no basis of facts for this opinion, but just a personal feeling. I would love to hear from someone who has just gotten back from Greece to see how their experience was.

15. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One note to keep in mind: while banks do not impose the EUR 60 limit on foreign cards, you could face situations where ATM are simply empty, so it is best to carry plenty of cash rather than to expect to be able to withdraw money at regular intervals (yes, a real call for thieves at the same time).

Also, shops/hotels/restaurants could, potentially, only accept cash rather than credit cards (some of them already do at normal times) as they need money to pay suppliers/employees/...

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

16. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The daughter of a friend of mine just returned from Greece. She stayed out in the country most of the time, only went into Athens to shop and transit.

She reports that in her experience tourists are treated well, and welcomed (stands to reason, it was much the same during the currency crises in the 1980s in Europe). The folks she talked with said they knew individuals weren't to blame -- they didn't loan the Greeks the money they can't repay -- so no point in taking out any hard feelings on the individuals. Pretty calm and mature.

I'd say go if you have the chance. You'll probably be treated as well as before, maybe better if this crisis continues and people are looking to tourists for hard currency.

18. MrsGarp

MrsGarp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well.. I wouldn't go with the economic crisis, but if you're going to go, I'd do it before the people become desperate or worse (i.e., pickpocketing tourists).

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think they are suddenly all going to attend pickpocket school for a career change :/

20. MrsGarp

MrsGarp Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, and I'm not saying that Greece is full of pickpockets either. I'm just putting myself in their shoes - economic crisis, maybe a bit of desperation, and you see someone who's clearly a tourist come to town? I can see how someone with bad intentions could take advantage of that.

21. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't go seeking bargains available by virtue of Greece's weakness and desperation; I would go with the hope of, in some small way, helping the economy and reminding Greeks that they aren't forgotten.

anileze likes this.