Would you fly less...

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by ahow628, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Would you fly...

1. more.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. less.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. about the same.

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If an airport decided to completely remove TSA agents and all screenings from an airport, would you fly any less? Would you choose that airport over a TSA utilizing airport?

In this situation, there would still be security in place but it would include intel, profiling, secure reinforced cockpit doors, and other non-invasive security features.

After you've answered this question given the information about, here is an article called The 'Israelification' of airports: High security, little bother.

Horse likes this.
  2. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would fly much more often. Heck, I'd schedule a mileage run for the day it began!

3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably wait for about a month. But then i'd have no issues with it.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I haven't experienced it personally, but just from reading the article it seems to me that Israel still has agents and does screenings of bags and people. It's just done smarter and not as "mechanical" and with profiling added as an additional layer. So is the scenario you're asking us to imagine really that there are NO agents, NO screening (incl. checked baggage), or are you asking if we'd fly if the airport was operating like Ben Gurion?

5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it makes sense to completely do away with all security. That's just foolhardy. Rather, the security that's in place needs to be smarter/effective and not treat everyone like a suspect.

6. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was asking if you would fly less if there were no agents and no screening.

The article was there to give an example of moving in that direction.

I wanted to wait to post my opinion so as not to taint the survey results, but I would specifically choose an airline that didn't participate in any of the TSA checkpoints. What I would like to see is cockpit doors to be heavily secured and the only screening that would take place is to ensure that passengers' bags are carry on sized and that they are only taking one carry on and a purse or backpack that fits under the seat in front of them. Aside from that, I'm not terribly concerned that someone is going to try to blow up a plane with their carry on luggage. In my opinion, the biggest threat to an airplane is the pilot and they currently get a pass on the whole TSA procedure (as they probably should).

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that no one said less. I said about the same as did the majority. Most of us doubt that the TSA is doing much to protect us. A few well placed explosive sniffers with cameras and loud alarms (and perhaps some trained dogs wondering the terminal) coupled with the reinforced cockpit doors could do as much with less hassle and cost. A person with a knife or gun is no longer likely to bring down a commercial airliner IMHO.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But don't you find it interesting that the highly praised and successful Israeli approach actually doesn't do with all agents and screening?

9. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, and I realize that there would be agents and screening in the real world. I just wanted a simple scenario for the poll.