Would you buy this insurance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Dovster, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a great medical travel insurance policy. It covers me everywhere in the world except Germany.

Next month, I am going to spend a week in Italy and another week in Prague. I bought a direct flight, MXP-PRG but it was cancelled and was given, instead, MXP-MUC-PRG. I figure I will be in the air on my way to Munich for one hour and then in the airport, between flights, for another hour.

That puts me at risk, should anything happen to me, for two hours. (I had a quadruple by pass operation three years ago, so I am always concerned about my heart.)

Okay, the odds are really against my getting a heart attack during those two hours but if I should I would wind up spending major $$$ (or, at least, major Euros) for treatment in a German hospital.

I checked to see how much it would cost me to get medical insurance for that one day and, given my age and medical history, it came to 85 shekels ($24.11). I realize that this is a lot of money to spend to be insured for 2 hours, but in itself it is not a great amount. I bought it today.

I was wondering, however, how others feel -- would you have paid $24.11 to be insured for those two hours?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    $24.11 is certainly worth the peace of mind it buys you.
    Although you may pull a 'George Costanza' after the two hours are over and wonder why you couldn't have a small medical incident to get your moneys worth!

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some countries with national health insurance will treat visitors for free in emergencies, but the rules vary. In other countries, one would not want to be in the public system, especially for anything serious.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way I see it is that if nothing happens, I will be happy -- even if I wasted $24.11.

On the other hand, if I do wind up in a German hospital without any insurance I would be cursing myself for the rest of my life.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Here's the deal. We like you so much on milepoint that I'l willing to go 50/50 with you for your peace-of-mind and ours. For $12.06 (it's your life, you value it more so you have to pay the extra penny!), you're happy and we're happy to know that you'll be with us for a long, long time. Do you accept PayPal?

p.s. Is this a great forum or what (truly seriously offer above)?

jbcarioca, RSSrsvp, Dovster and 2 others like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alright I'm in the 50/50 of the 50/50, that's 6.03 to me and 6.03 to the Dove.

jbcarioca, Horse and Dovster like this.
  7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Darn, we're going to save this guy yet. Anyone else in for 50% of the 50% ... cost you $3.01?

Dov, got to be a first where a frequent flyer forum volunteers to insure one of its members for two hours. Please don't tell us you are rerouting yourself for a longer layover ...

jbcarioca, Dovster and FetePerfection like this.
  8. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Frankly I think that Dov should be paying us for just reading his posts. :cool:

9. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dovster posted several times about having a Sarah Palin calendar on his wall. If I chip in, can I get a Dovster calendar to put in my office? I'd rather look at him than at Russia anytime!

You are a very brave man to insult Dovster on a bulletin board which I read. If you ever visit Alaska please let me know in advance so I can be sure of getting some buckshot for my arsenal. (I used the last of it to get off a few rounds at that Sister Mary Bambi Takamoto who he is always talking about. That'll teach her not to fool around with my man, you betcha!)

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure that Dov autographs the calendar first as it may be worth money someday! ;)

jbcarioca and Dovster like this.
  11. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just about to accept your offer when I remembered that the actual price is 85 shekels. I suspect that shekels are a bit difficult to find in Colorado Springs and I would prefer that instead of running around kosher delis looking for some, you spend your time arranging for an ad free MilePoint that I can buy.

I keep getting pictures of gorgeous women in their 20's who, apparently, want nothing else in life other than to meet me. That can not be very good for my heart.

The last time I was in Vegas the Strip was full of women who offered to be my pal if I paid them. I decided then and there not to accept a PayPal arrangement.

Hmm, the price on my life seems to be going down and down and down!

People actually read my posts? Why? :confused:

Proving, once again, that you are a woman of excellent taste. I do believe, however, that you should be more discreet. I think a Dovster calendar in your office might get Tod a tad annoyed (or, even worse, get Tad a tod annoyed -- which makes absolutely no sense at all).

12. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like the premise for a sitcom like Seinfeld where there isn't supposed to be any plot. :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    thats the key, avoiding that threshold. =D

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rumor has it that you are really dying to hook up with a German nurse and this insurance issue is just a sham! :cool:

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had heard any rumors at all about me really dying I would have bought life, not health, insurance.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dov, she is ready for your arrival in Germany!

nurse.jpg

Dovster and jbcarioca like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is easily worth the entire $24.11 just to have the laughs.

Why don't you pay the $24.11 then?

18. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be a little silly for me to fork out that money for my Dovster calendar in the middle of the year, wouldn't it? I am going to wait until the 2012 version comes out. Or else, I will get the Israeli version. Dovster tells me it will be available in September. I think that's when the Jewish New Year is -- Rush Hasha Nah.