Would you buy an extra half of an airline seat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/08/07/would-buy-extra-half-airline-seat/

Would you buy half a seat on a plane so you wouldn’t have to fight for the armrest?

That’s what Michael Batt, a former airline executive and founder of Travel Leaders Group[​IMG], has suggested. Batt, who oversees 6,000 travel agencies, was speaking at this week's Global Business Travel Association meeting in San Diego when he floated the idea in a panel discussion on the so-called sharing economy— the business model based around connecting people represented by startups like Airbnb, Uber and ZipCar.

Batt said airlines could sell half-seats for 50 percent of the fare, so passengers would essentially be buying a seat and a half. It would be a win-win for the airlines and passengers, he noted.

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/08/07/would-buy-extra-half-airline-seat/

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why buy half a seat. Let the person in the other seat buy a half and you wind up with the half for free. Or if you want to buy one and a half seats, how much more would Business Class be?

And if the seats are in a two seat conformation, (like a MD-80 FC) do I get two seats for the price of one and a half?

boondr likes this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air NZ has tried a couple of variations on this.

1) At check in pay $x (I can't recall the exact amount - may have been $75?) to get an empty middle seat. NZ would rearrange passengers so that usually both adjacent passengers paid for the empty middle seat.

2) Sky couch - sets of 3 seats that are available for purchase by 2 passengers in a single booking for a small discount to 3 seats. The seat is also different to allow a couple to lie down together.

Both these options are cheaper than premium economy of Air NZ, let alone business class.

skyvan likes this.
  4. wackyjacky

wackyjacky Active Member

Status Points:
    That's what 'Premium Economy' is for.

5. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Half a seat extra is exactly what you get with "business class" on most intra-Europe flights. No extra leg room, slightly upgraded food, and and the center seat is kept empty. I wouldn't pay for it, but it comes along with Biz class award tix from the US that connect in Europe. I've only been on one Intra-Europe plane with wider seats in Biz class.

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which half? :p

7. Parker677

Parker677 Member

Status Points:
    Not a very endearing proposition as far as I am concerned.

8. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes i ll buy extra half if i have a child.