Would you be willing to earn $100k to banish airline delays?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bul...ng-to-earn-100k-to-banish-airline-delays/8128

General Electric hopes you’ll be willing to earn a little extra cash to ease airline delays, as the firm pleads to the public through crowdsourcing.

Flight delays, lost luggage and long security procedures are all part-and-parcel of traveling by air. However, when you’re a passenger having to suffer with a delayed flight, this can have a host of consequences; from missing a business meeting or family occasion to splashing out on a hotel or spending an uncomfortable night on a hard, dusty airport floor.

It’s not always the result of a natural disaster, or issues like the predictable yearly standstill of U.K. airports once winter comes calling. Sometimes, delayed or cancelled flights, which cost airlines a fortune every year, can be down to the smallest scheduling or security error.

Several years ago, when booking a last-minute flight from Vienna to the U.K., the computer system failed to record my baggage details. This resulted in my flight being delayed for three hours in order to source the “mystery” bag, according to a flight attendant I spoke to. In the end, a flight that cost me £80 cost the airline thousands.

When a tiny error like this can cause such havoc, airlines have to find new ways to fix any flaw in their systems. To this end, General Electric has thrown the state of airline efficiency to the public, using predictive technology and new applications which could make flight schedules smoother.

As part of the optimization process, GE wants the public to help solve the mathematical processes applied to flight scheduling. Offering $500,000 in total prize money — $100,000 for the winner — the firm have launched a competition for you to develop a “usable and scalable algorithm that delivers a real-time flight profile to the pilot, helping them make flights more efficient and reliably on time.”

Read More: http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bul...ng-to-earn-100k-to-banish-airline-delays/8128

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about " common sense " instead?:oops:

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd do it for free. :cool:

uggboy likes this.
  4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Charlie's pretty hot

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool stuff. If I was a smart math major I would check this out closer. There has to be some simple gains out there.

sobore likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The simplest gain would be to factor in things like deicing times in the Flight times. If you are flying somewhere in the winter where Deicing would be required. Then the flight time needs to include the 30 minutes to an hour necessary for the deicing. Thus a flight that is 3 hours during the summer would actually be a 4 hour flight in the winter. If you need to be somewhere by a specific time, take an earlier flight.

sobore likes this.