Would this bother you. . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LAM, Jul 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was on a flight home tonight and a 20 month+ lap baby (standing on his parents lap) decided to entertain himself by turning the overhead light on and off and on and off for probably 10 minutes. Would this annoy you? Or would you just be glad he was being quiet?

Flyer1976, 8MiHi and Mapsmith like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Nice he was being quiet. I would have pointed out the FA Call Button to him, though. That would be entertaining.

marcwint55, guberif, MX and 1 other person like this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Calling the flight attendant especially the pissy male one would have been really interesting. The baby was actually several rows ahead of me so he really did not bother me.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be happy he was quiet and, depending on how tired I was, I would probably watch his reaction to the light. I tend to be easily amused...

Sweet Willie, MX and Mapsmith like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really wouldn't know without going through the actual experience. I know I can be greatly annoyed by other repetitive movements, for example neighboring adults who constantly fidget (move their arms, touch their faces or hair, etc.). It takes me quite an effort not to yell at them to sit still. Once I did make a polite request, because the action affected me directly. A neighboring lady passenger was fanning herself with a magazine every 20 seconds for a half hour, and some of that air was blowing in my direction. She was very understanding when I explained my discomfort, and stopped as requested.

8MiHi, Mapsmith and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Tracy T.

Tracy T. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would probably be entertained for a minute or two, and then it would drive me crazy. Though probably more so if its on an evening flight when the cabin is mostly dark and the light is more noticeable.

8MiHi, YULtide, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have gotten hypnotized and fallen asleep. :)

Noisy kids bother infinitely more...

8MiHi and Tracy T. like this.
  8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly would have bothered me, but at least he was being quiet. I get flamed every time I bring something like this up, but it blows my mind what parents will let their kids do these days, like it's not okay to tell them "no". When I was a baby, my mother wouldn't have been caught dead with me doing half the stuff we see little kids doing in restaurants and in airports and on planes these days.

A few weeks ago in IAD, a mother plopped her baby down right in the middle of the gate seating area and proceeded to change a dirty diaper in front of 75 some odd fellow passengers. I point this out as being unacceptable because a) there was a family restroom directly across the hall from the gate, and b) the gate on the other side of the hall was completely empty (as a viable fallback place had the restroom been inoperative or occupied).

My casual post about it on Facebook was bashed by parents saying things happen and it's the duty of everyone around them to tolerate it. Sadly, when you have two places within a 20 foot walk (or carry), I disagree. You didn't have to put us through that, you chose to, and didn't care about any of the passengers around you when you made that decision.

anileze, MX, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus it's extremely unsanitary!!!!!

anileze, MX, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bigger issue here, for me, is the blurring or near elimination of the distinction between public and private space. You do private things in private and public things in public. And public space requires consideration of those around you (even if there are no others obviously around). So, in public space it's unacceptable to do private things like engage in loud conversations on your mobile phone, clip your nails, change diapers, slaughter chickens.... And if the need is really urgent, you at least try to minimize the discomfort of those around you.

Of course, there are different standards for what constitutes "private things". Some are still offended by breastfeeding in public; I am not. But the basic point is awareness of and consideration for those around us. I think we've largely forgotten those fundamental attitudes in North America.

webdes03, anileze, MX and 2 others like this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why can't I slaughter a chicken before my flight???? The Airlines don't provide food for those of us in coach anymore?????

webdes03, Tracy T., anileze and 4 others like this.
  12. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the OP, I would say it depends on the config. Is it a typical narrow body, and are parent and lap baby only taking 2 of the 3 seats? Then, if I was #3, I'd be bothered likely. But otherwise, probably not.

anileze likes this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    You think I was joking. Read the whole saga beginning here, with the ensuing reaction here, and the end here. :eek:

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

How true - Each generation stretches the limits of public "space" and private "place". I never till this day wrap my head around going to the airports in flip-flops and beach-shorts and cut-t-shirts.

This reminded me of a remark someone made about three decades ago in a rather conservative island. The resorts catered to Europeans - "They (meaning tourists) kiss in public, and we pee in public" :) This was before Charters started bringing in hordes of package tourists with all-you-can-drink, and then the whole beach town became a one big barf-cum-urinal !

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As a father of two, I wouldn't let my kids turn the light on or off on a night flight. Day flight? Maybe, if it kept them quiet. But, I do think parents have a responsibility to try and keep their kids from disturbing the rest of the plane, so I'd probably try to find other ways to amuse them. Good parents will stay patient and develop strategies to help their kids make it through the flight. Those of you that know me understand that this role is occupied by my wife in our relationship. :)

Muerl, webdes03, anileze and 2 others like this.