Would like to be 1k

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by NDFAN 2, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello-
    I have been a 2P on UA for a few years now. I would really like to get my status up to 1k. My home airport is ORD - is my best chance to do this via international? If so what routes would you recommend from ORD? Is there a time of year certain routes are less expensive?
    Thanks!

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to attain this in 2011 for 2012 status or in 2012? How many miles do you fly each year on average? Do you do MRs in addition to regular travel?

Have you also checked out MKE too? I am an ORD based flyer and I like going out of MKE for the additional EQMs and parking is cheaper.

Welcome to MP! This is a great community. :)

3. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be for 2012. I have been doing mileage runs in the 4th qtr last couple years to keeps 2p status. I have not thought about Milwaukee. What are typically runs that you do from there?

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are doing MRs just to get to 2P status then I doubt you're going to get the value out of running an additional 75K EQMs to justify the time or expense involved. Even at a very low CPM you're still looking at more than $2000 in runs to get there. What's the impetus for the 1K goal? You might do a lot better saving the cash and time and focusing on the other things some other way.

5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You missed a fare of $160+taxes (depending on how you route) to SAN about a week ago. There is also DEQM promo ORD-LAX or SFO. W fare is around $324 ai. That is through the end of January. Need to register for it.

Sometimes good fares pop up out of other cities too and you can position for them.

I like doing SAN and SFO runs from MKE. I like taking the red-eye back and spending the day out west when it's cold here. :)

Titans26 and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend switching to AA from UA, registering for the EQM promo to LAX and doing several MR's early next year. It will be far cheaper than what you will need to do to maintain 2p with UA and worth considerably more over your lifetime in miles earned with 100% bonus vs. 50% on UA.

The only condition I find it worth maintaining 2p w/ UA over AA Plat is if you have long legs and require the legroom of E+

7. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for the quick replies!

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Golds on AA can reserve exit rows and bulkheads at booking, and AA's rolling out Preferred Plus something.... [grumble grumble SMI/J grumble]...

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And those $2000 could be spent on upgrades for those flights that the OP really needs to take, making 1K status somewhat redundant.

Titans26 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP NDFAN2!

11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While that is a valid point, -- for me, the most valuable bennie of 1K is the ability to cancel or change reward tickets with no fee!:cool:

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the welcome to MP! Good knowledgable folks here ... enjoy!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, it's a feature I find very useful (nb: also a benefit of Platinum next year, so no need to reach 1K for that).

But again, a $2000 MR budget would give you quite a few reward charges. Basically, if your "natural" flying pattern is in the range of 2P (which in many cases also means few reward flights unless miles come in from other sources), I find it difficult to justify MRs to go up to 1K.

Now, that said... I went from years of 2P to 1K in a year, and have been 1K ever since. That was when I discovered FT, reached 1P quickly via a Fast Track promo I learned about on FT, and then found that more air travel was actually fun as I spent more and more time in the pointy end of the plane. But I also spend a lot more $$$ now than I did in my 2P days, but I justify it as a new hobby. Still don't do pure MRs, though.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.
    At $100 each that's still 20 changes, and that's not counting the freebies on routing/date changes for everyone so long as the O/D pair are the same.

I simply do not believe that spending $2000 for any status tier makes sense for a passenger who nominally flies 20K miles annually.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree! I also take advantage of the fee-free SDCs (for Plats/1Ks) that would add up quickly, as well. I am aware that the inevitable drop to Gold/1p will happen sooner than I'd like!:(

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for all your ideas! I am planning on going to Hong Kong, Hawaii and some other trips in summer / fall for 2012 (so my travel this yr will be more than what i have done in the past). So this what started to get my mind thinking about 1k - the extra perks etc. All have opened my eyes to different options - thanks again.

Gargoyle and IDGflygirl like this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember you only get limited benefits on partner airlines, if you are using them to go internationally. Things are especially limited if you are flying in economy.

Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint! Can you prioritize the 1K benefits that are most important to you?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

cennas likes this.
  20. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! Especially if the OP's flights are on UA/CO/US. 1K status is fine, however if you don't need to travel 1k miles I would just enjoy my normal travel schedule with purchased upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint