Suggestion Would it make sense to have month of the year destination forums?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by iolaire, Jul 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it make sense to have month of the year destination forums?

For example I’m thinking of good places to go at the end of May for US Memorial day. I know if I go to Greece it will be fairly windy and not quite summer yet, so I’m thinking up other destinations globally. It would be nice to go to the May forum and look at threads for various destinations that time of year…

uggboy likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Intriguing idea. My guess and I seem to recall is there are other websites that are travel startups which have technologies that are built for that purpose (weather, seasonal and event directed) based on travel suggestions. I'm struggling on how to make that work on this type of forum hierarchy.

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I was just thinking of sub forms by month, but honestly that probably is not the right approach since someone would need to duplicate content in say the Thailand and November forum.

Maybe instead tags would be better:
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinhte-xentag.770/
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-tag-for-xenforo.625/
    Tags would also allow destinations to be tagged, so you could find the Thailand posts across the airline, hotel and destination forums. (FYI: tags can be a big load on a database)

Alternatively it would be a Wiki page but that would take a lot of work to maintain that likely will not happen

uggboy likes this.