Worthwhile to use the cash + points option?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by wanderlust, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering what your opinions are on the cash + points option. Seemed great to me at first, but now I'm wondering what the catch is. Looking for two nights at a hotel that goes for $220, I could pay 15,000 points or 5,000 + $60. I selected the latter, but now I'm second guessing myself, as I know normally I could not get such a great return on PC points, and maybe using only points would be better here.

What do you think? Do you use the cash + points option?

2. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a point value of 1 cent, it works out that the 5000 + $60 is a good deal. I learned from a frequent flyer friend that if you cancel, they refund in points only so the $60 would turn into 10K points, not a bad deal either.

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use them, when available, about 50% of the time.

Tim O'Brien and travelingmore like this.
  4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    II use all three options: Cash, Points, Cash & Points. The value proposition is is different for everyone and is different for me each time as well. Sometimes I just need a free room and the value of the points is not a factor. If paying cash is an option, I will evaluate the value I am receiving for the points.

In your example: $220 rate for 15,000 points = 1.5 cents of value per point or
    $60 + 5,000 points = $160 rate (220-60) for 5,000 points = 3.2 cent of value per point

If you can pay the $60 per night, that is a better deal to me. You are effectively buying 10,000
    points for 0.6 cents each and getting value of 1.5 cents each.

My math logic may be off a bit but this is how I evaluate when to pay vs when to use points.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    They may have closed this loophole of getting the points instead of cash on cancellations.

6. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it still applies, because of the way that the PC systems treat these bookings - when you book a points plus cash award, you are effectively buying the points and then the booking is made with the full points value - so when you cancel this, their system treats it in the same way as any other rewards booking and just refunds the points. It still worked this way in January.

7. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume these refunded points don't count towards status right? [​IMG]

8. i thought with PC that all points count towards status, but if you look at their MO, it wouldn't be surprising, Ambassador can only be bought, not earned, unless via a promotion hurdle etc, cannot see why they'd mind you obtaining Plat via paying them if if in a indirect fashion.

9. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    They used to, but they closed that loophole awhile ago....

10. 21h21j

21h21j Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having bought $900 of Cash & Points bookings in the last week I'd say they are good value.

When booking I always go though the options of Cash, 241 rates, F&F rates, points, points & cash. I'm surprised no one has done a flow chart to aid decisions[​IMG]

11. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only value excess PC points at $0.005 as I can generally get a 3.5* on Priceline for a similar price after taxes and fees, or redeem a comparable Hyatt at 8k/12k/15k instead of a 25k/30k/40k CP/IC. So since C&P is $0.006, I don't do it.

12. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use the Points & Cash option if I can buy 10,000 points for $60 and the Points & Cash option saves over $100 rather than using only points. Buying 10,000 points saves my points for other redemptions.

Buying points for Points & Cash awards does not count for elite status qualification.

I like to try and maintain 100,000 Priority Club points in my account for hotel stays. This is not my primary program so I try and conserve points using Points & Cash whenever possible.

NewCokeandTaco likes this.
  13. the reference was only if you cancel and have the points plus cash purchase refunded in points vis counting towards status.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  14. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find it's great value on properties in normally expensive cities, ie NY or LON. Last year I made a booking at Staybridge Times Sq, and the saving was phenomenal over the lowest rate.

Tim O'Brien and WonderBret like this.
  15. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used them in areas where the hotels are overpriced. Sometimes they are worth it (and back in the day to top up the account for $30/5k points)

Skyvillager likes this.
  16. NewCokeandTaco
    Original Member

NewCokeandTaco Silver Member

Status Points:
    An example might have further explained your valid point. I think you are correct. It is very difficult to earn 10,000 points with only $60 spend.
    The "basic" Priority Club valuation of points is $30 US = 5,000 points.

17. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just cancelled my $60 + points night in Japan and they used the $60 to purchase the points so the points were deposited into my account when I cancelled.

18. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used a couple of points and pay in conjunction with quite a few nights on full points at HI Old Sydney over Christmas, and it was a nice stretch to cover the period for about $100 cost.

19. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, for those who have a Chase PC Select Visa, Points & Cash reservations do not earn 5 points per $ spent, just the regular 1 point per $. Something to consider when choosing which credit card to use.

20. i can use my points when necessary and possible

21. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a Points and Cash reservation and it deducted the full amount of points without any purchased points. So far, there's no indication that they charged my card. So I cancelled the res and my point balance returned to where it originally was. Someone posted on FT they've had problems since this weekend. Has anyone on MP been able to successfully do a P&C in the last few days?

22. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I waited a few days, and tried again. It's working now.

23. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does a point purchase show up as on your chase statement? I'd try to call chase and have the extra points credited. If the charge in any way implies ICH. Agents at chase most likely can't tell the difference between a point purchase and a hotel stay charge. They'd probably just give you points. And technically a point purchase is a hotel stay!

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  24. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was coded as "services and merchandise". I had hoped Chase would give me the difference as a sign of goodwill, especially since it was my first charge on the card. They did not. I'll hang on to it for the 10% rebates and decide if it's worth the annual fee for a free night closer to my anniversary. I'll still use it on fully paid stays (5 points), but I don't do many of those. Otherwise, it keeps my socks warm.