Worth upgrading as a basic AAdvantage member

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sltyler1, May 23, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. sltyler1

sltyler1 New Member

Status Points:
    Was looking at possibly upgrading our tickets for the end of next month. Just checked on our flight and there are still 4 business class tickets available. However, we are just basic AAdvantage members with no reward level, so the option seems to be not available to upgrade to business class? Am I missing something, or would I have to upgrade to Gold before I can even look at upgrading to business class. AA's website just says go to their website and choose 'buy upgrades'. But that portion of the site just says:

"We're sorry. As a non-elite member, you are not eligible to buy 500-mile upgrades. AAdvantage members without elite status must be traveling as the companion of an elite member. When traveling as a companion, upgrades will be deducted from the account of the elite member sponsoring the upgrade."

And when I go to my planned trip it just has the option to change seats in the main cabin. Flight is ORD to CUN 2888 miles roundtrip.

Thanks for your time! I just can't find a clear answer online for people that are not a level member yet.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can list to upgrade with miles on any ticket. You would not use 500-mile certs (those are only for elites) but would pay 15,000 points + $75 per ticket in each direction. The award chart is here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/mileage-upgrade-chart.jsp. You would need to call in to make the redemption and awards/upgrades come from different inventory than seats they'll sell for cash so there's a decent chance those 4 seats are not actually available for an upgrade and you'd be on a waitlist.

Personally, I do not think it is worthwhile at that price for the 3.5-4 hours on the plane. But I've also recently flown across the Pacific in a middle seat in coach so my vote might not count as much as some others'. :p

P La Rue, alfagirl and Counsellor like this.
  3. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with Wandering Aramean, BUT, I would also consider the type of plane when deciding whether to upgrade with miles + co-pay, especially for a 3.5-4 hour flight. I would never even consider it for a flight on a 737
    Also note the miles + co-pay is for each way, so you would have to 'buy' 2 for a roundtrip, $150 + 30,000 miles for each passenger.

P La Rue likes this.