Worth Pursuing?

Discussion in 'Choice | Privileges' started by Jimgotkp, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be staying at a Clarion for almost 3.5 months since my school made a contract with a property since they don't have space on-campus. It seems like I will be able to use all the benefits such as free breakfast every morning and access to the pool. However, I thought about contacting the property and asking them for points every night. Is it worth it? I wouldn't be surprised if there is something on the contract about not earning points. However, it is possible that nothing was mentioned too. Are these points worth it?

miles and smiles and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you could get points for 3.5 month worth of staying with Clarion? This is very well worth it!:)

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the T & C of the points program; many do not give points for hotel stays over 30 or 90 consecutive stays at the same property.

Many long-term contracts that are negotiated state that points will not be awarded. I would be almost surprised if your school's contract gives points to individuals. Will you pay the hotel directly or will the school pay?

If you're a student, will you share the room and if so how will the bills work? Who will be responsible for things like a phone bill? Be sure to have credit cards with adequate credit limits for your stay.

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gah too much research.

The contract is between the hotel and school while the school is charging me for it. I guess "technically" I won't be paying the bill but the school will.

It will be two students per room with each student charged the same amount separately. It ridiculous that they are charging me a higher rate since it's a "premium" room. :( I think my knowledge of hotels I've learned from MP and FT have spoiled me.

Next year I hope I can get a place at a resort that the school just acquired which is transformed into a hotel and a dormitory.

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many ways to get value from Choice points -
    over 6000 hotels you can redeem at
    transfer for airline miles
    gift cards
    lots of stuff you can buy with it
    and more
    http://www.choicehotels.com/en/choice-privileges?sid=x7T_G.MG48OgJI5.12

If you can get some points from it, take them and use them well.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you get the points soon enough, you can use 5,000 of them for a US Airways' Grand Slam hit. In fact, perhaps a desk person will allow you to pick 6 random dates to credit points so you can get 6 lodging hits in the Grand Slam.

Jimgotkp and miles and smiles like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true. Not sure if I want to participate in GS this year. If someone figures out a way of getting 100K for under $600 then maybe.