Worth it?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Mr.worldwide, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mr.worldwide

Mr.worldwide Member

Status Points:
    Hello

I was wondering if it worth paying $395 for 2500 MQM?
    I am 300 MQM away from gold
    Is there a big benefit moving from silver to Gold?

Thanks

8MiHi and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you fly about 40,000 miles next year (between Silver and Gold), at a 75% incremental bonus (100% - 25%), that's another 30k miles in bonus miles - enough for a low level domestic RT.

There is some chatter of DL lowering the bonus for Golds, but I don't think anything has been announced - and I suspect they'd do it one year hence. (DL-haters will disagree)

You at least have a chance at upgrades as a Gold...though still not great.

The other part of the equation is how valuable is $395 to you? Is it a sacrifice...or not such a big deal?

jparker and 8MiHi like this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I think it would be worth it. As NYBanker points out, you've got a nice extra stash of bonus miles with this purchase. While you may find a mileage run for a few dollars less on short distance during the holidays, you can bank the rest for rollover (2,200). Upgrades are 3 days advance rather than 1 day w/ Silver. Gold also gets you to the upgrade benefit on an award ticket which is cool. I think one of the benefits of Gold over Siver is seating in Economy Comfort should upgrades not be going for you and the two benefits I like and use often are SDC/SDS with fees waived. Others will likely weigh in but I'm thinking this is a worthy mileage run for the benefits ... without the run.

jparker likes this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also if you travel internationally Gold will give you SkyTeam Elite Plus. One of the best benefits of this is access to SkyTeam lounges when flying internationally on SkyTeam.

5. Mr.worldwide

Mr.worldwide Member

Status Points:
    Well guys, my trips are 90% international. I can also buy into the delta club for 450 and get 1500 which also gets me to gold...
    I cannot estimate how much I will travel next year since it all depends on my work load next year...

6. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally, no. Explore the other ways to acquire SkyMiles® MQMs before you leap.
    One last easy hurdle, and you're there.
    Indubitably.

7. Mr.worldwide

Mr.worldwide Member

Status Points:
    MRs are expensive even for 300, any suggestions from Houston

8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are planning to travel a fair bit internationally, or even US to/from Canada, any sort of higher status pays dividends in easier and (sometimes, at least) more comfortable travel. Granted that for most frequent flyers the goal is comfortable travel, the trick here (like always) is to discern how to achieve higher status at the lowest possible spend.

The airlines, of course, will always try to bait the unwary with offers of expensive bump-ups towards higher status.

Pardon me my schoolyard Latin, but....

Caveat aviator / aviatrix!

9. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might try looking at other airports. For example, if you book TODAY, you can fly MSY-ATL on 12/29/12 same day turn for less than $500.

10. Mr.worldwide

Mr.worldwide Member

Status Points:
    Anything more than 400 is too much i think...

Well I found HOU-ATL for 300