Worth GoEnvoy Price of $800 to Ride a 767-200 To Paris?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

I'm on a Charlotte to Paris flight this week, and I see there are FC seats open. Unfortunately, this is not on a Airbus 330 with the new Envoy Suite (which looks amazing and would have been an upgrade I would have gone for in 2 seconds), but it is on a 767-200. When I first went to the Website and quick initial search, it looked like it was $500....but I see that is not so any longer. A quick call into Customer Service and verification by looking through the forum shows that it is now $800. Some further reading of the Envoy on this plane does not reveal the same salivating and joyful reviews that the one in the A330 does. So....I'm asking for opinions (perhaps from someone who has ridden in it), is it worth the upgrade? I know that I can also buy this with points and cash, but my question is for an outright $800 per person (my girlfriend and I are both on this flight), has it been a satisfying purchase? I see the seats don't go all the way down, and ammenities are older and less fabulous. I read someone's review that the Coach class flight was actually not bad, which also gives me pause.

Opinions greatly appreciated!

2. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about you, but any F seat is better than Y. Why don't you do a quick comparison. If you were to buy that FC seat on US, what would you pay for it? Take the cheapest F fare (Z??). I suspect that even if you were buying discounted F, you would still be paying hundreds of dollars more for that seat than what US is offering it to you now. In that case, you made a wise decision to hold off purchasing it until now since your are going to save even more :)

OTOH, if you find that you can purchase the F seat for less than what is being offered now, then you must think back to what prevented you from buying F in the first place. It was probably cost! And the deal they are offering you now is no better than the one you turned down originally. (However, for all I know, maybe you hit the Lotto between then and now and don't care what the price is :p). So why would you buy up now (unless it is to impress le girl-friend:D ).

I suspect that you will find that US is giving the seat away relative to what it would cost you to buy it de-novo, It is a looooooong flight in the back of a US 767. Decisions, decisions.

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a tougher call.

I liked the 767 seats when I flew Envoy to GIG (Rio). The longer flight and lack of time zone change made that more enjoyable.

I also like the A330 coach seats a lot better than the 767 coach seats. So if you're not upgrading, be prepared.

I'd rather use 30k miles + 300 than pay $800. There are ways to get get miles cheaper than 2c / miles.. including the sales from US. feel free to PM me for details if the search doesn't help out too much.

My preference would be to sit in coach. Have a nice meal at the Charlotte Airport. Have a few drinks at the airport. Put on your nightshade (you can buy an Envoy kit for a few dollars on the US Airways Company store if you so desire) and your noise cancelling headphones (ear plugs work as well).. and just sleep. Book a spa morning with a massage and a facial and you'll feel just as good as if you flew Envoy for a good deal less.

4. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Ah, you guys make me smile! :)

Yes, Radonc1951, I agree that it is much less expensive than if I have purchased a FC at the original time of purchase. There's no question that cost sits on the mind (I think the girlfriend is impressed that she is being taken to Paris for her birthday, so I guess I'm ok there), but if I was going to spend the money.....JetsettingEric has my counterthought.....spend a portion of that on a nice spa treatment and splurge on a couple of really great restaurants.....oh....the agony :)

[and I don't think I have any hope of being a lottery winner between now and then]

as a side note....recommendation for a good spa in Paris. If location makes a difference, we'll be at the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe, anything good in that vicinity?

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also look at how full economy is on the flight. Are ou going to be jamed in a middle seat on a full flight? It could be they are offering up some discounted FC seats to free up coach for more ticket sales.

I am tall with long legs so I would pay more for the bigger seat but not if on a budget.

viguera likes this.
  6. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the original question was whether the deal was a good one, not what could I do with the extra money if I didn't buy an F seat.
    You can alway justify flying in Y because of money. It's a darn lot cheaper and you can do lots of things with the unspent money (like spas and restaurants). But that wasn't the gist of the post.
    So let me ask you this. If this had been an A330 with the envoy suites (which by the way my daughter managed to luck into last year and did say it was fabulous), would you still have the reservations about spending the extra $800??? And if not, why not??? Can;t you still get a lot of great massages and meals with the money not spent on the flight? In your mind, what made the Envoy worth it, but the 767 not. Food is the same as far as I can tell, so is it strictly the seat?..the plane?... the je ne sait quois :D.

I thought that you wanted an assessment of whether to buy up to F. In my opinion, US is giving you a TOD deal to do just that and you can save a pile over the regular cost of that seat. I think you would be making a good deal by taking it, but I cannot tell you how to spend your money.;) .

daninstl likes this.
  7. enichols22124

Status Points:
    I suppose you are right, there are multiple aspects to the question. For some reason, the 330/380 first class just seems sooooo much more of an upgrade over coach. The 767-200 FC just didn't seem like that much of an upgrade. Was it due to the full reclining seats for more comfortable sleeping, or the vast array of video options? Yes, I believe so. And....now that I have actually seen with my own eyes the FC cabiin of the 767-200.....I am glad I did NOT upgrade to it. It looked awful. The wear and tear of the seats, the partial recline, the video system set, the noise factor, etc. I managed to get in row 5 (pretty much the front of coach area), and I had great legroom (for Coach), and that is what mattered the most. The video option is terrible, but I slept through it all comfortably.

I appreciate all the feedback, it helped me think about WHY I did or did not want the upgrade.

8. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not worth it at all, so good choice. I wouldn't even pay it for the new Envoy Suites! I love the envoy suites and upgrade myself a lot...but not for $800. For that I'd rather have about a million other things!