Worth Calling for an AGR Membership Card?

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by mikeschu, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am taking a three-week trip soon, mostly by Amtrak. I transferred a few points from CO into the AGR program and bought a few regional rail tickets using points to supplement my trip. Thus I have five different PNRs and will be adding a sixth to complete the travel portion of the itinerary.

I understand that in the AGR terms that they send a membership packet once you ride the rails once. However, I'd prefer to get a card beforehand so I am carrying one piece of plastic to use instead of six different pieces of paper.

Is it worth calling AGR to see if they can send me the membership card and/or packet in advance, or should I consider taking a short trip to get points and the card itself? I have a few weeks before the trip commences.

Thanks in advance!

2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are a select plus elite using the card for lounge access, the card gets you nothing. Amtrak is much more about the reservation numbers than your agr number. Make up a single page with the reservation numbers and your agr number and stick it in your purse/wallet for the trip.

mikeschu likes this.
  3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm a peon on AGR, but was thinking that the card is useful if I need to hit up a QuikTrak instead of waiting in line for a reward ticket. Thanks!

4. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know about how long it takes to get the AGR card mailed out to you after your points for the first trip post?