Worth 25k miles to upgrade biz > flagship 1st?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by pixel girl, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pixel girl
    Original Member

pixel girl Active Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I will be taking a flight from EZE>MIA later this month.

We're currently in Business on a 1st/Biz MileSaaver award, which is great. However, I noticed that that 1st class on this flight is the premiere flagship international first, which I've heard is fantastic.

I didn't think it was possible, but spoke to AA customer service, and she said for 12.5k miles each, we could upgrade that leg from Business to First.

Is this worthwhile? I don't have any additional AA travel planned soon, but not sure if it's worth it to "waste" the miles. On the other hand, 9 hours in a flagship suite sounds pretty tempting!

Thanks for your advice!

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think most would say that 12,500 miles one-way to go from J to F on a 772 would be worth it for that route. You'll move to a fully flat bed and a great deal more privacy--catering won't be drastically different though. Were I you, I'd already have taken them up on the offer to change to a First award.

IDGflygirl, Tenmoc and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend it if you have the miles. Slanted seat to a lay flat bed, more room. Food isnt much of an improvement, but the space is much better. Do it.

Microwave and Tenmoc like this.
  4. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it a daytime flight or an overnight? I may be tempted to upgrade for the overnighter since it's the fully-flat bed. But, if the food is not much better in F than C and it's a daytime flight....you might want to save the miles. But, it would depend on what you might want the miles for later on.

5. pixel girl
    Original Member

pixel girl Active Member

Status Points:
    Nighttime flight - 8pm to 5am. Sounds like the upgrade might be worthwhile!

Now my only concern is spoiling ourselves for all other cabins everywhere...

SK2868 likes this.
  6. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll be happy with your choice in F, but there will be many other options available to you if you want to pamper yourself even further next time... QF F on the A380 and CX F on the 744 are both amazing products, and are well ahead of AA F. You won't be spoiling yourself forever, don't worry! [​IMG]

7. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say if you've never flown 3-class F before, definitely do it just to mark it off your bucket list. The suite is nice, good sleeper, and really like how you can swivel the seat to face the window. Cool! On the other hand, after all the gee-whiz I made it to F glow faded, I personally would not do it again except for maybe a real bear of a flight like ORD-DEL or something like that. My $0.02.

8. pixel girl
    Original Member

pixel girl Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the good insight, guys!
    We're flying domestic first and 2-class first for the other legs of the trip, so I'll weigh the pros and cons.

It's really helpful to have first-hand knowledge of the products. Thank you!

9. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your company will pay for it thats the best way.

10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am perfectly comfortable in international biz and usually only book first when there is no biz available. Of couse, that's on UAL where I love biz. I haven't yet flown on international biz or first on AA, so maybe there really is a significant difference.

As long as I have a bed and a private entertainment center, I'm fine.

11. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overnight real bed with space to move your legs, no climbing over or being climbed over for 12.5k miles? In a heartbeat. I'd even do it TATL.

Microwave likes this.
  12. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely do it and when you pick your seats pick the middle two seats as you can actually swivel them and face each other while you eat. Then rotate them back a bit, recline the seat and have a nice rest. I think one of the best bargains in free tickets is the 25,000 mile difference between business and first on the 777. I wouldn't ever think twice about this.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  13. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    AA J when traveling socially is ok- get a window/aisle combo. When travelling singularly or with colleagues F is far preferable.

That said what I would do- and have done- when traveling with my wife is book in F- and take 2 window flagship suites. Business travel has "graced" me with an abundance of miles- and as you correctly point out the differential ain't so much. Privacy, comfort, and aisle access.

Microwave likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely take it- a super bargain.

15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with all those that say take it!

16. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure why you would choose 2 window flagship suites over the middle two seats if you are traveling with your wife. In the middle seats you give up the window but you can talk and eat together.

17. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While you don't have any AA travel planned soon, it may depend on how fast you accumulate miles, or how soon you'd replace them. AND, if you have (or want!) travel on another carrier at some point soon.
    Would spending the additional 25k now put a dent in plans to spend it on a superior F product later?
    Does getting AA F now mean signifcantly postponing enjoying CX F later?
    Will it take an unacceptably (unacceptably to you, opinions vary) long time to re-accrue another 25K?
    If spending the 25K now is that kind of a trade-off, I'd stick with biz.
    If not, then yes, go for it.

18. Fornebufox

Fornebufox Active Member

Status Points:
    Do it! Day or night, it's fabulous to have the extra space and a lie-flat bed.