Worst Vacation Ever in Roatan, Honduras

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Maximizer, Jun 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Points Guy is running a contest for the Worst Vacation Story, and I happen to be among the 5 finalists. The final winner is determined by vote, please vote for the Jellyfish Jam and help me win 10,000 Chase UR points ! :)

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/vote-on-the-worst-vacation-story/

The story is reproduced below. If you like it, please go to the link and vote for it.

Thanks!

=============================================================

I nearly died from sudden paralysis, on my worst trip ever.
    We were on Roatan island, Honduras. It is a great place for diving and snorkeling, even close to the shore. We went to a dive shop next to the hotel, and in 30 minutes were in the water looking at the amazing underwater colors.
    After some time in the water, I suddenly started feeling very mild burning sensation around my body. I thought that perhaps I simply overheated, and so climbed back into the boat and lied down. This most likely saved my life.
    When we got back to shore, as I walked off the boat, I suddenly felt that I could not move my hands! I sat down, and realized that getting up is no longer an option, I could not move my feet. Scared, I told my wife what was happening, and realized that I had great difficulty speaking, my tongue was like a piece of steel and I could not move it!
    The shop owner came over, and declared this to be an allergic shock. At this point I am completely paralyzed, cannot move or speak, yet I am fully aware of everything. Two guys picked me up, carried me to a van, and drove us to a small private medical office ("clinic"!). There I was given a shot of Benadryl, and in 15 minutes I more or less returned to normal, except for the emotional scar.
    But this wasn't the end of it. The doctor looked at my wife (who couldn't feel much because her adrenaline was pumping, as she was trying to figure out how to deliver the news of my untimely demise to my parents), then gave her a tube of cortisone saying simply "you will need this". As she calmed down, she realized that she had a terrible rash all over, the worst of which was under the swimsuit.
    Turned out that we came into contact with jellyfish larvae. Apparently, they swim under the swimsuit, get scared and release their poison. It is interesting how different our reactions were. I had no long-term effects, but my wife suffered for weeks. She bought all the cortisone in the local pharmacy. Back in the US several days later, she went to a dermatologist, who was very excited to see such a "nice reaction".
    Be aware of jellyfish season, and wear a tight wetsuit!

Gargoyle, viguera, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You win....

3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that sucks. Roatan was/is one of my favorite places to visit... and I don't dive. We went the first time in 2001 before it really started building up. Our last trip was in 2006, and it was amazing how much it had changed in that short time.

wrxmom likes this.
  4. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This trip was in 2005. The place felt fairly undeveloped. Which was great, until no one bothered to warn us about jellyfish :) I also remember mosquitoes being a problem. We spent some time on the mainland before Roatan. Besides the story above, what we remember most is the abject poverty in some parts: people living under a roof made of soda cans; domestic animals thin and clearly starving.

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that is "amazing"... and not in a good way. Probably part of the reason that I am part of the MP Kiva Lending team.

6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you've got my vote and I will never feel guilty about eating jellyfish again

7. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle, dAAlasFF and misman like this.
  8. dAAlasFF

dAAlasFF Active Member

Status Points:
    I voted for you thought the exploding diaper was close.

9. seysey

seysey New Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, if you people are desperately looking for the best logging place then you all should definitely check this beautiful logging place this this site roatan lodging it is good
    Thank you.