WORST. UNITED. MEAL. EVER.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Apr 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Pictured above is the raw meat I was served in BusinessFirst on a recent UAL flight HKG-SFO. No joke, it was cold. It was cleverly disguised in breadcrumbs so I had no clue what I was in for until I took a bite. Kind of ironic given this month's Smisek video is all about catering ops and how good the food is at United. I've put up with a lot of #$%@ from that airline over the years, but this was a new (disgusting) low.

8MiHi, uggboy, sobore and 3 others like this.
  2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    It actually looks perfect to me.
    The beauty of an undercooked steak is that it can be cooked more. Did you ask the FA to throw it back in the oven for a minute or two, to your desired temperature? You know, just like you'd do at a restaurant when the exact same thing happens?

Cooking food on airplanes is a challenge. Altitude, pressure, and variability in the ovens has a pretty dramatic effect and makes it hard to get it perfect all the time.

One of the many reasons why I strive to always bring on board.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be useful if you could email the picture to Smisek (bypassing CS by finding the UA corporate email address), and ask the Big Cheese to just eat it!

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was going to say the same thing. Of course, the diner is entitled to have the steak cooked to her satisfaction and serving steak to people with a variety of cook-point preferences with the limited facilities available on an airplane is probably a losing proposition.

Also, the meal should not be cold (although the center of a steak cooked rare or medium rare is going to wind up close to room temperature).

8MiHi and edekba like this.
  5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I'd rather get that, and if I wanted it to be more done, asked for them to cook it longer, than what I usually get, which is so well done it's tough and chewy. I like my steak on the rare side. I realize not everyone does, but you can always cook a rare steak to medium or well done; you can't undo an overcooked steak for someone who likes it on the rare side.

Did you ask the flight attendant to cook it a bit longer for you?

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Undercooked is fine. The disgusting part is that the thing was apparently served COLD!

sobore, 8MiHi, hulagrrl210 and 2 others like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had food undercooked before, but that is usually a fault of the ovens/heaters not the FA. Hopefully the FA noted it and heated your food more (if you still wanted to eat it).

OTOH, I have asked for my beef to be cooked for shorter periods of time so that the meat is still pinkish on the inside and not dried out. (The chefs at UA Do told me to make the request). The request is usually honored even though the FA tell me that they normally try to make sure its thoroughly cooked.

8MiHi and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... there's a difference between rare/medium rare and just plain uncooked. I personally haven't been paying attention to UA's catering business, but my guess is that everything is sent up cooked (or "mostly cooked), then it's finished onboard, no? Unless they do things differently in the international segments.

I'm not squeamish in the least but I like my cow dead. Maybe a little pinkish, but certainly not red like that.

NYCUA1K and hulagrrl210 like this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rare beef is barely above room temperature and is pretty indistinguishable from uncooked meat. Even medium rare meat (a very hard standard to accomplish on a consistent basis) is still red and would appear, in a picture, very similar to uncooked meat.

I believe, in this case, the photographic evidence is strongly supportive of the expert medical opinion that the cow is, in fact, deceased. ;)

DCA1K, gpaya, JLSocks and 9 others like this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I don't mind my steak a little rare, but this was uncooked. The crew was nice enough to warm it up for me (I've never sent food back on the plane before) 45 minutes later what I got back was definitely cooked...but to the other extreme. Not a good day dining with United.

8MiHi, MX and viguera like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    So basically the same thing that happens when you send food back at a restaurant... :)

EyeOnTheSkies likes this.
  12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yuck, if they went from one extreme to the other.

It is difficult (at least I think it is) to tell from the photo that it's rare versus completely uncooked. And, given differences in people's computers, mobile devices, monitors, and browsers, the level of red in the same photo will vary from one user's screen to the next, which is why I questioned whether it was just rare or not.

It certainly doesn't sound like their finest moment, for sure. And, it's quite possible that the problem originated with an oven that wasn't properly working, or with a steak that was delivered to the aircraft much colder than it should have been (I once had entrée come out practically frozen because the caterer over-chilled it to the point where the normal heating time wasn't going to be sufficient) as much as it could have been a problem with a flight attendant not properly following directions on how to prep the meal.

Unfortunately I do think they tend to err on the side of well-done, which I personally find, way overdone, but I know different people feel differently about their meat.

IDGflygirl and viguera like this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Looks delicious. Too bad it was cold

14. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've returned food to the FA to heat up more in the oven. They've always obliged.

15. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The steak I had on UA a few weeks ago was somewhere between medium-rare and medium, in other words perfect.

hulagrrl210, Flyer1976 and Gargoyle like this.
  16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What is so rare as a steak well done?

17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to email 1kvoice when you get on the ground!

viguera likes this.
  18. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say the same about my steak in Cathay F last year on the same route---was just perfect. Hopefully the UA error was a one-time thing or we'd be seeing more posts about it.

[​IMG]

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually some people "over there" might even throw a fit over this and demand 40k miles as compensation. Sad, but true.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  20. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably wouldn't demand compensation, but offer it up as some constructive criticism and suggest that some retraining on meal preparation be included for FAs in the future.

21. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FA could have done it perfectly per the instructions, and it could be an oven issue, and have absolutely nothing to do with training.

ps - that looks far far far better than anything even close to the WORST.UNITED.MEAL.EVER by a longshot.

22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point... a quick search revealed this gem on UA 1446 (LIR-EWR) a few days ago actually. Yes, that's a hot dog for breakfast and reportedly made the passenger sick. :)

bad_meal.png

23. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had something similar on my flight from SJO-IAH this morning. The FA asked if I wanted scrambled eggs or french toast. I asked what came with the scrambled eggs, and he was visibly irritated with my inquiry. He sai, "plantains, I think." I aked to him to find out, and he seemed to be holding back a tantrum.

He came back and said, "sausage." So I ordered the scrambled eggs, and they came with half a sausage link (in Costa Rica they look like a hot dog), half a strip of bacon, the fruit bowl, two tiny strips of plantain and something that literally looked like fried vomit. The sausage was inedible, and being on a low-carb diet I can only say that the scrambled eggs were scrambled eggs, and the bacon was bacon. Can't comment on the rest due to the carbs, but the attitude was the worst part by far. This on a paid Biz fare.

viguera and hulagrrl210 like this.
  24. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm done complaining to United. I already contacted them about a seat assignment issue on this flight- they separated my 1-year-old son from us AGAIN! Got some canned response about an aircraft swap (that didn't happen). :rolleyes:
    I have more certs than I even need right now and the last thing I want to do is get a reputation for complaining too much. I'll save it for the next time they strand me in an airport overnight or something.

genemk2 and viguera like this.
  25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny you should mention hot dogs, because they had those in the United Club (Hong Kong).

IMG_1285.jpg

rggale, mht_flyer, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.