Worst foot massage, ever

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by techauthor, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    at AMS, near the Rijksmuseum display, there's a back/neck massage chair and a foot massage station.

I went for the foot massage. She barely stroked the skin, absolutely no pressure, and every 5 minutes stopped and shook out her hands as if she was really applying pressure. I told her to work a little deeper, and the third time I said it, she dug her thumbnail into my foot.

I stopped her right then and there, called over the manager. I was told that she's their best and no one has ever complained before (a response I hate, for a variety of reasons). I used 15 of the 30 minutes I paid for and offered to pay the 20 minute price but they said they'd call the airport police unless I paid in full.

I put it on Amex. Let's see what happens when I complain to them. I'm betting on 100% refund.

Meanwhile, advice to all. See the museum. Skip the "spa".

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Perhaps you should have called the airport police instead. :)

MissBurrill likes this.
  3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    That must have been a big disappointment. I have the best massage therapist in the world and know that I won't be happy if I randomly go looking elsewhere for relief.

I suspect that massage therapist in public places, who have no control over their workload, suffer from exhaustion so I don't even think about using them.

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would take reflexology over a full body massage any day. How disappointing for you.

5. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a fan of reflexology, too. When my wife was younger she used to have terrible monthly cramps. A reflexologist showed her a spot on her ankle to rub to relieve them. The relief was instant and amazing.

One of the things that swayed my decision to patronize them was a reflexology poster of the foot. Apparently, it was just decoration. (I have tendonitis in the arch of my foot and it has been acting up this week. I was REALLY hoping for a talented massage therapist or even better, a reflexologist. I'd have been OK, but disappointed with just a manipulation/rubbing massage.

By the way, the claim is under dispute with Amex. I have no doubt I'll get a refund from them, though I don't know if they'll absorb it as a customer satisfaction expense or hit the merchant for it.

6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best reflexology I ever had was in this great little grotto in Jamaica. Heaven on earth. I keep waiting to experience that again. I have had good luck in China Town in SFO.

7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love massages, especially when I can afford them. Had a decent couples massage yesterday in my apartment here in Jakarta. 2 hours for $11 for me, $13 for my GF, who got a body scrub which is a bit extra.

Cheapest foot massage, $1 for an hour in Jakarta. However, it was reflexsi, and I think the guy was being way too macho on my feet. I like hard pressure, but this was approaching terror level.

8. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worst foot massage (reflexology) was in a small NYC salon near Chinatown. The pressure was so intense I had to keep telling him, "Stop, not so hard." Couldn't wait until it was over. I thought the soles of my feet would be covered in bruises. I've had foot reflexology before and it was so relaxing so this was quite a surprise.

9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My worst foot massage was at SFO upon return from a trip to bkk. They started out really light, so I asked them to apply pressure. I am still unsure what they actually did but I was black and blue for a week afterwards.

I have had pretty good luck otherwise

10. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take my mother (85 y/o) to Chinese Foot Massage every week in San Gabriel, CA for $15 per person for one hour.

The hour includes Neck & Shoulder massage, foot bath and massage and 10 minute table massage and includes cups of green tea.

She loves it and it really helps her circulation. Only difficulty is most of the therapists only speak Mandarin Chinese but we somehow get our conversations understood.

Can't beat the price and its good family time as well.

11. Hi the

12. Hi there. Can you please tell me the exact person and company you hired for your massage for 2 hours? Im in jakarta at the moment, im staying in an apartment on jalan kebon sirih. Thanks for your advice in advance.

13. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you tell me the name and address of this place? I love getting foot massages when I go to China and this sounds like the "real thing." I live in the OC, but it would be worth the drive.

14. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the only number that I have at hand. A little more expensive than the price I mentioned, but I've been using them for years. The price varies, depending on how far away you are from them. I normally pay them 170,000 Rupiah ($19-$20) for 2 hours.

Solusi Sehat
    021-835-1485 or 707-17070.

Normal hours are 6:am 11:pm. They do get busy during the later afternoon and evening hours, so I normally try to book ahead by a couple of hours.

15. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chinese Ancient Foot Massage
    626-572-5191

Enjoy.

PTravel likes this.
  16. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points: