Worst flight experience

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by excelsior, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok this has been covered "'elsewhere"' but I thought it was a good thing to keep going on any forum... Ill kick off with mine

1996 December: Downgraded from Royal First Class to Economy on Thai Arways BKK_LHR AFTER occupying my seat and polishing off a glass of bubbly as there was a Thai royal personage with a last minute medical emergency so the first Class cabin was emptied out I was on an op-up to first and Business was full So to the back with me!

That makes you miserable I can tell you, an upgrade becoming a DOUBLE downgrade.... all the medical brouhahaha also meant a more than 2 hour delay already so would miss my connection to helsinki and would need to renegotiate all this across different terminals....Hence quite depressed

On takeoff perked up a bit because there was a flight attendant on board who I knew quite well. However next to me in the aisle seat (middle empty) was a passenger who began drinking...and drinking... When meal service started the drinks flow ebbed a bit as there was quite naturally no one to respond to the bell.. The passengers storms off to the galley .. I take advantage of his vacating the aisle seat to go to the loo and find my friend in the galley...in tears and the man storming off past me to his seat Appears he had accused her of racial discrimination She, gentle soul, was hurt humiliated etc etc

I miss my meal comforting her; they give me some cup noodles which i eat with her --- playing the fool to cheer her up. When I return to seat the offended and by now plastered co passenger eyes me suspicously... Accuses me of ""carrying on"" etc .. Mutters dark threats... he is big and I am scared Moved to a middle seat in row of 4 at my request.. snorers on either side. Someone possibly with a bereavement crying quietly in the far aisle.... video mainscreen directly in front of my nose

Am asked by cabin crew to depose to British Transport Police on unruly pax behaviour on arrtival... Given that this happened to someone I know, didnt want to seem churlish about my connection. So miss connection spend close on 4 hours at Heathrow deposing and all sorts of things and get to helsinki at 8pm, thuis having missed my presentation slot at 5 pm.

not so bad I guess but is my worst and merits telling here only because it was a failry bizarre combination of circumstances that collectively made the flight a nightmare

PS: TG sent me a beautiful set of 4 china cups as a gift, delivered home to me in NYC I still have them so it wasnt all bad.!!

2. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't sound good at all. Were you still allowed the F class food and beverage?

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a claustrophobia attack at about hour 5 or 6 of an LH FRA-PDX flight (in Y, natch, on an A346 without seatback IFE, and next to people who could double as NFL offensive linemen- I am wide in the shoulders myself at 6 foot 4). Not to the point of actually doing anything irrational, but I had to walk around the plane for quite some time on the rest of the flight. I was thinking to myself "I CAN'T STAND THIS ANY MORE, I WANT OFF THE DAMNED PLANE, IF I DIDN'T KNOW HOW STUPID THIS IDEA IS, I'D PULL OPEN THE EMERGENCY EXIT".

It doesn't help that I don't sleep well on planes, at all, so I was very sleep deprived, too. So I spent about 6 hours like that, outwardly calm but internally screaming before I got off the plane... and then had to drive home to SEA (which meant that I drove about 30 miles to a rest stop and passed out for a couple hours before I killed someone falling asleep while driving on the interstate, then finished driving home and passing out some more).

To give you an idea of how absolutely unusual that was, I've never had a panic attack on a plane, save for that one. Ever. An MRI I've had didn't make for a bad panic attack, and that really WAS a tightly enclosed space. Other TATL trips in Y (DL A330)? No panic attacks. Just that very bad flight home. So I don't really have fond memories of LH. I think I shall have to fly LH F to make up for that... ;)

MrsBobSgt and excelsior like this.
  4. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds amazingly horrific. I'd want a whole lot more than 4 bloomin' china cups if this happened to me. You showed remarkable restraint and compassion. Not in 20+ years of flying has anything like this ever happened to me.

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  5. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    No.. and that was fine as I was oped up to F from J but as you see from my post, I couldnt even have the Y class dinner in the circumstances!

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  6. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember I knew the FA personally so i didnt want to make a fuss. I was young and tolerant and not bvery used to flying J and that sort of thing. And i will say that (according to my wife) the china cups they sent were very very expensive and quite exquisite. Oh and i didnt mention that they refunded my company the whole fare so i ( or rather the company) flew free?

MrsBobSgt and Mundivaganti like this.
  7. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a serious nightmare made all the more scary but the one off nature of the whole thing!

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to sit next to a fat guy once on a Delta flight from MKE to ATL! :eek::D

9. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently PG doesn't have a 'bad odor' policy because the guy checking in in front of me was foul. I got an exit row and hopefully he's in the back. Otherwise i will make a stink :D about it. Even for a 1 hour flight.

savydog likes this.
  10. Worst experience? Clearly US-Airways DCA-PHL-MUC ( planned ) or DCA-CLT-FRA ( flown ).

I arrived at DCA very closed to Check in closure. It had bee exactly 32 mins before departure. Nevertheless the machine told me I am too late. Bag was too big for hand luggage. I called a free agent and told her, that I am in time, but the time of the machine might be different by a minute. At this moment it would have been ZERO problem to check my luggage in. She only looked like a stupid animal to me, said nothing and walked away, doing basically nothing than walking back und forth the CI counters.

When I finally got an agent to talk to it was too late. 25 mins before departure, no chance to check luggage ( at US Air, all other airline would have found a solution ) even for a passenger paying Envoy. The agent searched around and found two possibilities: Either flying to London instead of Munich, but paying nearly 1000 Dollars for a different fare bucket, or flying to Frankfurt in Economy and still paying 210 Dollars for "rebooking". Otherwise I should fly a day later without paying extra. Not possible to me, because I had a hearing at a German familiy court. So I had to fly and voted for the FRA flight in Eco. Of course I was promised an emergency exit seat as a kind of compensation.

Finally I ended up row 7, one row behind emergency in an A 330. For a big boy like me the worst nightmare. I couldn't even move an inch.

I know, it was a traffic issue. I know, I was late ( close, but NOT too late ). But the reasons for downgrading me was a CI agent not willing to work, an Airline not willing to be minimum flexible and I ended up in the worst Economy class I've ever flown.

Written complaint is in progress. Lets see what happens.

OY-JFS, MrsBobSgt and savydog like this.