Worst customer service

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by joesmoe, Jun 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last night while attempting to book a mini rtw I spent around an hour on the phone with an agent (calling internationally as well) before getting hung up on.

The second agent answered after waiting on hold around 40 minutes then put me back on hold for another half hour, then came back and said I'd have to call back and work with a different agent because he was off now.

What a joke your airline is, how can u expect anyone not getting a free ticket to go through a process such as that?

Ended up booking a less interesting trip with united in about 10 minutes.

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Mini-RTW is the key: this is a special thing that isn't very familiar to the AP agents. Booking "nornal" AP tickets is pretty quick and painless.

I didn't think UA even offered Mini-RTWs. Or do they?

joesmoe and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. And don't blame the airline; aeroplan was sold off by AC about 6 or 7 yrs ago and simply acts as a TA for the airline.

joesmoe and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    No they don't technically. On a r/t you need to return over the same ocean as your outbound. Since UA allows o/w awards you can create a pseudo Mini-RTW but with no stopovers.

joesmoe likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you anticipate it is going to be a long and/or difficult call, start off very friendly, and ask for the agents name and where they are located. If the calls end the way yours did, you'll at least be well equipped to write in to notify management about the behavior.

6. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check the AE website. If any office has particularly long waiting times (i.e. the Canadian office), you can call one of several worldwide numbers. I've found the agents in their Paris office to be very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. (See, it's not true what they say about the French re English speakers:D ). But follow NYBanker's advice. Last time I booked a reward ticket with the Canadian offices of AE, I kept getting disconnected (I was phoning from Asia). The lovely agent (Ayda in Vancouver) gave me her name and location and told me to ask for her if I get disconnected again and while I try and reach her she'll continue hacking away at my very complicated itinerary. By the time I got her back on the line, she had confirmed the validity of my routing, and run it through the ticketing department to confirm the taxes payable. ;)

EDIT: The 24 hour a day Mexican office cannot access Partner Award Availability when the Canadian offices are closed, only AC availability. Does help if you want to book a rewards tickets on AC somewhere in the middle of the night.

joesmoe likes this.
  7. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great tips on the foreign offices I'll try that next time.

So far as united no I didn't get a mini rtw out of it just a simple round trip Mykonos to Alaska with a stop in Denver (via Frankfurt) to Amsterdam in first, on lh, all at low level award.

Of saver award as ua calls it.

This would have been my 4th or 5th mini rtw with Aeroplan and they are not getting any easier to book.

Thanks again for the tips!

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With no stopovers, I think that would be a micro-RTW or maybe even a nano-RTW! ;)

joesmoe and kwai like this.
  9. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just so long as we don't get the pico/femto-RTW. You'd finish before it even began.

joesmoe likes this.
  10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was buying a ticket from Mykonos island greece to athens -> fra -> den -> sea -> anc

Then returning to europe.

If i had bought a one way to ANC then started my mini-rtw with a stop in europe on the way to asia and sydney i would be spending around 30-50k more miles for an extra 2 continents.

That was the goal. Now its just JMK-ATH-FRA-DEN(STOP)-SEA-ANC (stop) - SEA-Houston-FRA-AMS (through ua).

Thanks again everyone for the tips.