Worst Case Scenario-Award Ticket Tight Connection

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Tiki, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have our return ticket back to BNE booked as AA award as follows:

G3 BEL-GRU 1515 1855
    G3 GRU-SCL 2000 0200 (same plane flies via EZE, no change)
    QF SCL-SYD 1335 1755
    QF SYD-BNE 2105 2235

The QF flights are in J but the GOL flights are in Y as they don't have J class.

My biggest concern is the tight connection in GRU. From posts in the Airports forum, it is theoretically possible if the BEL flight is on time but if it is late we would miss the connection to SCL. Currently G3 is a partner of AA but not in One World. TAM is in *A until the LATAM thing is finalized at least which probably won't happen before Sept.

I am actually shocked that is is a legal connection but if you go to http://www.voegol.com.br/en-us/Paginas/default.aspx or even ita/matrix they are happy to sell this connection. The only earlier flight involves a connection through GIG or a double connection which is even riskier and AA might not allow it as they have some kind of rule on awards that you have to take the first available flight.

So worst case scenario, if GOL is late and makes us miss the flight, what happens? Do they pay for us to get to SCL on any flight? Both LAN and TAM have flights to SCL the next morning that would allow us to make the QF flight. We would need accommodation in GRU for the night.

This is the only flight out the same night if we miss the G3 at 20:00

GRU EZE 1- 10:45p 6:15a JJ 8006
    EZE SCL -- 1:35a 7:35a +1 LA 0400
    MTWTFSS

These are the only flights the next morning that would get us to SCL in time for the QF flight.

GRU 2 7:10a SCL - 10:35a LA 0759 320 MTWTFSS
    GRU 1 8:20a SCL - 11:20a JJ 8026 773 MTWTFSS

GRU 2 9:20a SCL - 12:35p LA 0755 763 MTWTFSS

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There must be a typo in the flights through EZE. You can't land at 615am and depart at 135am.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the OP with the apparent error in the times.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's all variable, but typically the carrier will get you on the next flight with available seats. They generally will not put you on another carrier unless there are extraordinary circumstances or you pull some elite status strings. Or you could get lucky and make a convincing case with a sympathetic airline rep :) . Whether or not they will pay for your hotel depends on the reason for the delay. If caused by something outside of the airline's control, generally you'd be on your own.

You might be better off asking this in the South American Airlines section since the members there might have a better idea of how GOL behaves.

Tiki likes this.
  5. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about that, the copy/paste from Webflyer pasted in some kind of pre-formed box. The same night connection is

JJ8006 22:45 GRU 01:35 EZE
    LA0400 06:15 EZE 07:35 SCL

Yes, I really do need to know how GOL would handle this as it would be their delay that would make us miss the flight. There is no other GOL connection to get us to SCL, they would have to put us on TAM or LAN. We don't have any status. I am not sure what generally causes delays out of Belem, maybe weather or maybe just unorganized boarding. They really shouldn't be selling this as a connection.

Would AA allow us to change to this connection without messing up our award? Looks like the same plane so we don't really have to connect in GIG, just stay on the plane. And then there is 7 hours layover in GRU which sucks not to mention the early wake up call.

Flight G3-1996 Operated by GOL (G3)
    Origin Belém at 06:43 Destination RIO-Galeão-RJ at 10:17
    Flight G3-1996 Operated by GOL (G3)
    Origin RIO-Galeão-RJ at 11:00 Destination SAO-Guarulhos-SP at 12:10
    Scale in RIO-Galeão-RJ - 0 h 43 m

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can change the flight as long as space is available.

Also, when is this trip scheduled for? AA just announced they are ending their partnership with GOL in August. This shouldn't effect your award ticket at all, even if you are traveling after August. Just curious though....

Tiki likes this.
  7. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight in question is at the end of Sept. I don't know what to do though I guess there is no need to rush to book the BEL-GIG-GRU option. I was also worried that there would be a change fee as we are not elites on AA.

It would be nice if AA brought TAM on as a partner (pre LATAM merge) to fill the void otherwise they have no partners in Brazil. TAM doesn't release award seats until 3 months out in any case. The GOL flight schedule could change between now and then. Theoretically, my travel insurance is supposed to cover expenses incurred due to a delayed flight even if we had to buy a separate ticket to SCL though I would rather not have to deal with this and waiting for the insurance payment to come through.

There is no availability on the LAN GRU-SCL flight for either Y or J award 2 weeks either side of our trip.

GOL is probably going to end up in Skyteam due to their alliance with Delta.

8. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just playing around on the BA award site and found J class availability on LAN GRU-SCL. I called AA to try to make the switch but there are 2 problems.

1. If we switch from G3 to LA, they will charge the $150 fee and I am not cashed up enough to afford it.
    2. There is no availability on the morning G3 1996 that goes BEL-GIG-GRU and would allow a comfortable connection.

The man says that the 1 hour connection in GRU is a legal connection so he can't waive the change fees unless a G3 schedule change causes a misconnect. He also said that if G3 is late and causes us to miss the flight to SCL it's up to G3 to get us on the next available flight from GRU-SCL which in my case would be their competitors TAM or LAN.

Is there any other idea I could try?