Worst airports for connections

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/04/11018595-worst-airports-for-connections?lite

Few phrases strike dread in the hearts of travelers like “connecting flight.” Flying to a destination on more than one plane increases the odds of delay and a missed connection.
    Some U.S. airports have more late or missed connections than others, depending, in part, on which airlines use them and where they’re located. Some airlines are notoriously unreliable, and some airports are in cities that take regular beatings from bad weather. These airports become notorious for delayed connections.

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics ranked the 10 U.S. airports with the worst records for on-time arrivals in 2011. The bureau also provides data for on-time departures. Its survey covers 29 major airports, defined as serving at least 1 percent of total passengers boarding domestic flights in one year, so small airports weren’t included.

See List:
    http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/04/11018595-worst-airports-for-connections?lite

jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting to see ATL not on the list at all. Or DFW. Both huge connection points, but both somehow seem to manage better than O'Hare, JFK, and Newark. Weather is clearly a factor, but I'm not sure it's the full story.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question on the rankings that "travelkit" listed. How many people actually CONNECT at FLL or DCA? Both seem to be a destination airport rather than a connecting airport.

Most of the others I can see connecting at, particularly onto an International Flight. Those would require additional time anyway. And most of the others can be explained by volume.

I, too, am surprised that ATL is not listed. Although by the way the list was formed (On Time stats) ATL probably has decent times all the way around. The problem at ATL comes from arriving at an "A" Gate and leaving from a "D" Gate. ATL is too large for a normal 30-45 minute connection.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, some on the list, especially FLL and DCA, are destinations, not connecting points, so the list is strange in that regard.

Since it seems based mostly on on time stats, I guess I'm not too surprised that ATL is not on the list. Weather delays aren't typically too lengthy and the airlines have started building in a TON of padding, especially for afternoon flights that are more likely to be affected by summer storms. While I'm a local and don't have to deal with connecting in ATL, I definitely see the potential problems with the size of the airport. It's a fairly simple and effective layout, but there are just simply a LOT of gates to walk past. The train between terminals is, thankfully, pretty fast and efficient. Much more so than some airports that use busses or that have nothing. I had to change terminals at DFW once and had to walk around half a terminal, hop on a bus, and walk around another half terminal. That was years ago, and I hope they've improved somehow, but I was pushing it with an hour connection.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FLL has a bunch of puddle jumpers to the Bahamas for what was Continental. Went diving a couple times and every flight was late. (The mainline to/from IAH was ontime. But those small planes caused me to miss both connections back to Houston. Though they did foot the bill at spring hill suites both times)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boston's Logan International Airport was very ok the last time I went through that airport. One airport I would add, although not in the US is CDG, Paris - avoid at all cost is this airport for me!

jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  7. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX or MIA gets my vote.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forget the USA. LHR is the worst connecting airport in the world, bar none. It's just fine if you do not arrive late, but normally one does arrive there late. For the US I'd put ORD as #1, primarily due to weather and congestion, with JFK on the list if you're interlining.

9. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    International I would say CDG. It's much worse than LHR.
    DME and PEK are runners up.

cliq likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    International - I HATE FRA (but I love LH first lounge), it's a maze with MULTIPLE passport checks and security lines even in transit areas and if you miss the right sign you could spend an extra hour getting to the right part of the terminal:(:mad:

kiwi likes this.