Worst airport arrivals - share experiences!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ericb, Jan 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from a RTW to 26 countries and realized that even the best airlines sometimes give you zero help on arrival services, even if you're in F.

Across your experiences, what are the most inconvenient or biggest PITA parts of the arrival process for you? Telecom? Money changing? Getting to your hotel? Errands? Immigration?

What would make it better?

Any "worst" experiences?

Eric

anileze and Mirror74 like this.
  2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My worst arrival experience has to be Denpassar, Bali, where lines at immigration were unbeliavable, and officials took plenty of time for each passanger and their attitude was very "interesting"... also, upon getting the baggage, some guy took my baggage through baggage scanning as I wasnt paying enough attention and later (with my baggage still in his grp) demanded money for his "service"... welcome to Bali...

3. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And what about you? ;)

Newscience likes this.
  4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    CDG - plain and simple!!! All the time everytime.

5. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am with you on CDG. Last time out, I had to take every item out of my briefcase, place it into a bin, and then reassemble everything - no laptop, no tablets, but they wanted each pen, and each item in a separate bin... ? All of this for a UA 1K, with GOES and PreCheck (US-only obviously), flying Global FC.

Obviously, this was DEPARTURE, and not ARRIVAL, per the OP's request.

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - How was the whole experience ? In terms of days/months & countries ? Some of my worst experiences have been with Cold war/Iron curtain era places - Now no longer relevant. These few years ie 2010-2013 ?

Ho Chi Minh City: Visa-Issuance line (late flight and right behind long line :( ) Cairo International during curfew hours.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trip was absolutely spectacular - 5 months. I wish I stayed some places longer, but this gave me justification to quit the day job and become location independent. Croatia, Hungary, Taiwan and Brunei really stood out, in addition to old favorites.

Completely agree that Denpasar was one of the worst/slowest/aggressive arrivals I've ever experienced. I'm still not a fan of NRT dropping off several 747-loads of passengers simultaneously and multiple floor transfers to store luggage, find the right bus etc.

8. marciodompieri

marciodompieri New Member

Status Points:
    Our arrival at Havana, Cuba, was the worst ever. Luggage took more than a hour to reach the passengers, and strollers never show up until you find some to help you looking for it inside the airport.
    During the flight you fill out 02 different papers, with a lot of info, but when crossing the imigration, never asked them...