Worst. Airline. Ever. Again.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is the title of the Joe Brancatelli article that came out today where he describes pretty well how things have been going with the new United. It is a play on an article he wrote about United circa 2008 where he borrowed the line from the Simpsons - Worst. Airline. Ever.
    Here is the link to the article:

http://www.portfolio.com/business-t...passenger-and-employee-complaints/index1.html

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We FF'ers do have a voice... ;)

Infinite1K likes this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some valid points in the article, but like everything he writes, there's a certain degree of sensationalism there, and some things that are simply not true, like implying that last-minute swaps happen on long-haul international flights between sCO and sUA equipment - the last minute aircraft substitutions are within subsidiaries, and mostly an issue with sUA 777s. I certainly don't think everything is rosy in UA land these days, but week after week I keep flying this airline, and I have yet to run into the serious problems that some people would have you believe are happening on the vast majority of flights.

4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope the author didn't cut himself with that axe he was grinding.

Ygor, ssullivan, sfogate and 5 others like this.
  5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lines
    are
    They remind me of another Simpsons quote.

/shill

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Though to be honest, as frequent flyers, we're more apt to actually read an email from UA/CO. I would guess that the majority of the "general public" are likely to just send any email from an airline straight to the trash bin. Likewise, we see the warnings posted on the website, because we have a reason to go there. The majority of the public (e.g. 1 or 2 flights a year) probably only visit the website one or two times a year.

So, on one hand he's got a point... I can understand that a non-frequent flyer would not have heard about the merger.

On the other hand, its frequent flyers that are UA's customers... so it makes sense they targeted them. In 6 months the general public will have probably forgotten about any merger related IT issues.

7. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:

In fairness, most of the warnings we got were not from United itself.

Maybe a more apropos quote:
    (Best not to dwell on what happened to Laocoön, or Cassandra for that matter :).)

harvson3 likes this.
  8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United failed miserably in merger-related communications. Rarely proactive, and gave little guidance on what to realistically expect.

goalie and Seacarl like this.
  9. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you...I have not had a single BAD experience since the merger...a few mediocre flights (welcome to domestic US air travel in the 21st century) and some quite good flights. Based on my experiences, the combined CO/UA now is a far better airline than UA was several years ago under Mr. Tilton's reign...

ssullivan likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though I didn't dislike Ted, post-merger UA sure is better than that era.

ssullivan and Gtitan like this.
  11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see any emails that my luggage would stop at Chicago while I continue to fly to Denmark. Yep, that was March 3rd. Assisted check-in for everyone on the first leg just because the flight was late was also very exciting.

12. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    RAR ..... TED was the end of United indeed.;)

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until I started populating my openflights, I hadn't realized that Ted is what made me switch my main airport from SJC to SFO.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    RAR?! :eek:

(I never had a problem with TED on short routes like SFO-LAS... E+ isn't that much different from F on those short hops... but I wouldn't actually go out of my way to fly them)

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the kind of routes I was mostly flying. Also: Ted was Airbii, which I preferred over WN's 737s.

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fail to see what the fuss is about. The article looks like it was written by a disgruntled flyertalker . In fact flyertalk is mentioned in the article.

Sensationalist news that deserves to be ignored. Sounds like faux news network :confused:

LETTERBOY and desamo like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I preferred the United miles over the WN miles. Plus, SJC or OAK aren't convenient for me.

There are days when I look back to the days of TED and wish they came back. Especially when I get on that regional jet to Vegas that UA is nowadays scheduling for some departures.

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The headline is all you need to know about the quality of the article.

LETTERBOY, ssullivan and desamo like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not uncommon for news stories to refer to Flyertalk. The problem is that stories like this just increase the PR problem that United is having already. Fox "News" deserves to be ignored, and yet they are the highest rated news channel, I believe.

It will be interesting to see if/when UA responds to the bad press, the overall "bad mood" of many of their elite flyers and the AA status match. UA Insider hasn't been here since April 25. Tick Tock...

desamo likes this.
  20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live halfway between SFO and SJC; my office is closer to SJC.

That's the truth for sure.

21. Photonerd71

Status Points:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I waved to you when I left SFO this afternoon, but you didn't wave back.

23. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since Brancatelli thinks UA is the worst airline ever, I think it would be appropriate for him to fly only Ryanair and Spirit from here on out. More upgrades for me!

SS255, LETTERBOY, aptraveler and 4 others like this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am male, therefore I watch Fox News. I do, however, sometimes switch over to watch one of the other channels when Greta's show comes on. Hannity can occasionally push me over the edge, too, albeit for entirely different reasons.

25. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    The author, Nick Kralev and everyone else on flyertalk ( I could name names) who are bitchin are all going though a normal and healthy process called : mourning

Yes. Tulip Died. The Old United Died. And no its not coming back. Sorry.

For those of you trying to make sense of all this non sense, it makes sense to go though the 5 stages of morning. Most ex-Tulip people are suffering though this and some ex-CON people.

1. Denial and Isolation
    - I know a 1K who went on a booking frenzy to book tickets on Apollo days before the swichover. I told this flyertalker that this move was indeed stupid, that you would lose your seat assignments etc and suffer multiple problems with your reservation. The smart thing to do, was to use SHARES, the CO website at the time, to ticket these tickets, and you would have no problems when the system switched over.

Did he do this? No.

In fact, he told me that United would never get rid of the old website and that its just not possible for United to adopt the CO shares system. I'm just LOL. He was in DENIAL till the VERY END. In fact, he refused to use this Onepass number and PIN, and used the 000 MP number until the system kicked him out.

Some flyertalkers at this stage gave up and moved to AA and other carriers.

2. Anger
    See various flyertalk threads in the Consolidated UA forum, or better yet , the PMUA forum. I'm also just LOL

3. Bargaining
    See the article referenced in this thread. Also see New CEO at United threads ( all on flyertalk )

4. Depression
    I believe most hard core Tulip people are still in stage 2 and 3. When they move to this stage it will be a SAD DAY.

5. Acceptance
    It may take a while for us to get here. Eventually, the day will come when someone can't imagine United without a hub at SFO and EWR. You get the point.

Give these people time. They are still stuck at stage 2 and 3.
    They are mourning, so offer some empathy.

strangevine and mht_flyer like this.