Worst Admirals clubs in the system?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TheBeerHunter, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I sit here at the club in CDG (the one I detest the most) it occured to me, there might be worse ones. I also thought the lounge at GIG was awful too, but that might be a contract lounge. CDG is terrible: overcrowded, constantly out of appropriate cups (so you must use coffee mugs to drink diet coke, for example, or in my case, a champagne flute to drink it from, the irony being, they don't offer champagne in this club!)

Which other clubs are really lacking?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Never been a fan of EZE.

Titans26, lili, John777 and 2 others like this.
  3. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR and LGA are slums

4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second EZE.

5. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    EZE's problem is that it's just too crowded. That may or may not be something AA can "fix."
    The snack selection is a LITTLE better than other A/C's (with most A/C's only having pretzels/snack mix on offer, EZE adds cheese plates, chips and salsa, etc., It's the only A/C that always stocks Malbec (best red wine in the universie, imho). If I want a small sandwich or two I just duck over to Iberia's digs next door.

Might be interesting to parse this down to what it is that's worst about the club. For example, DCA is just an "average" in terms of the physical space, but I've always found the staff to be amazing.

6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been there when it's been crowded, actually. As far as the food goes, since it's an international-only club, that's pretty much par for the course, as SCL, GIG, and GRU have similar offerings. SCL does offer small sandwiches and soup, and GIG offers that plus a hot dish, so no need for ducking out. Keep in mind that new oneworld lounge access policies now limit you to the lounge of the airline you're ticketed on so no more access to other lounges (unless you have a paid membership with Admirals Club and are flying Iberia).

Malbec is excellent, but that's highly subjective so I don't take it into consideration in my choice of EZE as the worst AC I've visited.

I expect the agents in clubs to be pretty good (not speaking of the cleaning and food service staff), and they usually are, so no complaints there. What I do find is that the air conditioning rarely works and the club is very warm, especially when the sun comes in through the hall facing the tarmac. I feel that the club looks and feels old and shoddy. The lighting is strange, and it sometimes takes me a while to find a seat where I feel comfortable reading. Also, if you have to use the sit-down facilities in men's room, the staff frequently turn the lights off and leave the main door open when they leave, which can be an uncomfortable moment (ok, it's only happened twice, but isn't that enough?).

The only good thing I can think to say of it is that it's in Buenos Aires, which just makes me happy to be there.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) I think you are misinterpreting the oneworld lounge access rules.

2) If you are in EZE Admirals Club then you are leaving Buenos Aires.

8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) I think you're right. Though access is restricted for certain categories of travelers: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/change-in-policy-for-lounge-access.23478/

2) Yes, but that means I've been in Buenos Aires, which is a good thing in my book! I didn't say I was arriving, just that the club is IN BsAs.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    zpaul likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My experience as well. Even if there were crowds, they wouldn't bother me. Frequently dirty tables/chairs and unfriendly staff do bother me though.

zpaul likes this.
  11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    As a new member of the club, I have to say that visually, the worst that I've seen has been LGA, but they are improving that club as we speak.

But as a product, I think the Admiral Clubs leave a lot to be desired and they are a huge step down from the United Clubs. Note the number of location UA has compared to AA and the membership is cheaper with UA..
    To me, the Admiral Clubs are just a waiting room with crappy internet. I don't drink cheap beer, booze or wine, I don't buy 1/2/3/??? day old, overpriced food (and I've tried most of the 11 dollar sandwiches and even the sushi, probably the worst I've had). They charge more for the food than better quality stuff in the terminal and while United has free espresso machines, AA charges more than Starbucks for various coffees.

At least United has a full, decent breakfast, some snacks throughout the day, decent free beer and also discounted quality alcohol soon throughout. They also have dispensers and some locations even refrigerators with cans so you don't have to stand in line at the bar to get ice with a side of coke.

So again, it's a waiting room with an overpriced bar and inedible out of control priced food with crappy internet in my book

Sagy, sobore, Aktchi and 1 other person like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's still a shockingly bad policy for lounge access, imo.

zpaul likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Less open/competitive than others, sure. I'm not sure shocking is how I'd describe it though.

Sagy and zpaul like this.
  14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ?? I fly AA out of Heathrow quite often and use anything BUT AA's facility there (BA, CX).

Strangely, I've had that same experience in EZE as well. :)

I guess it depends on when one goes. Every time I've been thru there, usually before a DFW or MIA flight, it's absolutely packed, not a seat in the house. And yep, it's Buenos Aires...have to make sure I'm not inflicting my departing sadness on the club. :).

zpaul likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He retracted the statement further up in the thread ;)

zpaul likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps an overstatement, but it easily was the worst of the three major alliances for premium cabin travelers, although their opening of 1st class lounges to top-elites is quite generous.

However...

It appears that the change has been rolled back to a more competitive policy in-line with the other alliances.

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

Good, even great news for non-elites flying oneworld airlines up front.

zpaul and John777 like this.
  17. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I'd done this before the language was changed (and then changed back), I flew inbound to LHR in AA F last week, and then on a separate miles (Avios) ticket in Y LHR-CDG. I was allowed access to the Concorde Room at LHR by showing my AA F and BA Y tickets at the desk. A great spot for a shower and breakfast (and Johnny Walker Blue at 7am for some thirsty fellow passengers).

zpaul likes this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Concorde Room is reserved for BA F passengers only. You shouldn't be allowed in regardless of which language is used. If you got in, good job. ;)

zpaul likes this.
  19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks life f passengers need to stick with their carrier's lounge, but biz pax do not. Wonder if they're done tweaking yet.

20. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the terrible damage done to the terminal at STL, I'm amazed how quickly the ground staff there were able to recover and open the temporary facility there... And as far as I know no one was injured and everyone is still employed and working, which is great news. However, the temporary STL AC is just too small; until a more permanent space reopens, I'm afraid STL gets my vote for worst AC (that I've visited). It's much better than no club, though!

Skye1 and zpaul like this.
  21. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always been a fan of the Admirals Club staff, and many of the facilities. That said, their snack offerings have always been poor, even when compared to other domestic airlines. I've never really understood why American can't put out some upgraded snacks of some description.... that at least equal what US Airways offers.

zpaul, mowogo and John777 like this.
  22. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I've done this twice with no problem, same situation (separate AA F into LHR and BA Y out of LHR). I haven't seen language that it's reserved solely for BA F, but maybe I've been lucky!

23. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't find CDG that bad and they do actually offer champagne, unfortunately they have a three bottle a morning policy and when its gone its gone.... the club is actually staffed by BA, even though it is branded as an Admirals club, which is why you get the BA ticket stock if you have anything redone by the agents.

As was said up thread, the EZE club is a zoo but so is the whole departure lounge area with all those flights leaving about the same time, not to mention the EZE departure Circus you go through (I call it a jobs program) to just get to the TA, the tax man and exit Argentine immigration.

Off topic but my favorite Admirals club is SAN just because there staff are without exception amazing - which goes a long way to make up for the small narrow club and lack of access if your taking Eagle.

zpaul likes this.
  24. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have. The scenario you traveled under permit you access to the BA First Lounge, not the Concord Room.

zpaul likes this.
  25. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    My vote is for SJU. A very tired facility with no other competition.

Titans26 and zpaul like this.