worried about singapore airlines award redemption...

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by lapointdm, Jul 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read several blogs suggesting that booking singapore airlines to use for star alliance works out very well eepecially for saving miles to hawaii. I checked united for awards availability and there was a lot of availability on the date I want in February 2015 for saver level award tickets. My understanding is that I could then call singapore airlines and use miles to book those flights. Is that incorrect?

I called singapore airlines and I talked to a very nice person who spoke english pretty well but with an accent I had trouble understanding. She said that she couldn't book the flight although I gave her the information on the flight numbers that was showing availability on united. Is this one of those HUCA moments, or is this something where I am going to be rather out of luck and find out I have a lot of singapore airline miles I was not planning on having? Anyone have any experience with this before?

Thank you!

MX likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The blogs are currently very enthusiastic about Singapore Airlines, but I am likewise hesitant about accumulating or transferring point to KrisFlyer.
    My major concern is the shelf life of SX points. From reading their rules, I understood that all points expire after 3 years, regardless of account activity. Would someone confirm or refute my impression?

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been reading up on singapore based on this award ticketing issue and there are many people who say the points go poof after 3 years no matter the account activity.

4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called back again and a different person told me the same thing. She couldn't see any availability until 5 days after my date even though it is showing on uniteds site.

5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, KF miles do expiry after 3 years, though there are options to extend them for 6 months (or 12 months for a KF elite member) :

website reference :
    https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/ppsclub-krisflyer/KrisFlyer_maximisemiles/
    • Expiry of miles

Your KrisFlyer miles are valid for three years (or one year for miles earned from contests), and you will be notified in your account statement before they are due to expire. As a KrisFlyer member, you may extend your miles once for six months at a nominal fee. If you are a KrisFlyer Elite Silver, KrisFlyer Elite Gold or PPS Club member, you may extend your miles for one year. Simply login to extend your KrisFlyer miles online.

KrisFlyer miles that have already expired cannot be extended.
    hope this helps !

Counsellor likes this.
  6. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I had trouble handling Krisflyer miles (albeit a relatively small amount).

7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor likes this.
  8. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I just transferred the ur rewards to krisflyer so I have 3 years to redeem them if I can't redeem them for these flights I want. Anyone have any suggestions about handling this situation. Should I call united to see if the awards should be showing to singapore airlines?

9. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never transfer my UR or MR points to SQ until I confirm availability (either online or on the phone, depending if it's an SQ or *A award). The only exception to this is if: 1) Even after making the transfer to SQ, I'd still have enough miles to meet my travel goals for the coming year, and 2) I know that I'd be able to use the SQ miles within three years.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO it's much better to try to use SQ miles for SQ award flights. SQ is a wonderful airline but they don't release much award space for use with partner miles.

FlyingFree likes this.
  11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Talk about using their miles, I see that their JFK-FRA is on the Airbus 380 with a slew of Business Class seats, but looking at two award seats next May - zero. All they have is Economy. I mean - this plane has 80 Business Class seats!

While I've played the game for awhile, I really know nothing about Singapore Air award. Any idea how far in advance or how close you need to book to get these tickets - or is it simply not possible? Many thanks.

12. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were logged into the United Airlines website when you did your search, and if you either have status with United or own the United Airlines VISA card, you may have been seeing award space that is only open to United's own elites for booking (which would explain why the Singapore agent couldn't book it). When you want to use another Star Alliance carrier's miles to book an award, always make sure you're logged out of the United Airlines website before using its award search engine to look for Star Alliance award availability. That way you won't see any awards open only to United elites.

13. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that Singapore tends to open award availability late, for what it's worth.