World's Scariest Airport Runways

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jan 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the Weather Channel, these are the world's scariest airport runways:

http://www.weather.com/travel/scariest-airport-runways-20130516

The list includes:

SXM
    GIB
    TGU
    BRR
    CGH
    FNC
    LUA
    SAB
    DCA
    SBH
    CVH
    YWKS
    NGO
    UIO
    KTZ
    PBH
    FXME

The only runway (besides DCA - that's a joke!) that I've been on/off of is SAB, on a DeHavilland Twin Otter - definitely not for the faint of heart!

jbcarioca, anileze, MX and 2 others like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DCA is a joke... Sure it's a fun visual to fly but there's nothing scary about it...

jbcarioca, KENNECTED and Newscience like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    SXM, Juliana international is scary and dangerous to the plane spotters on the beach. TGU, Teguchigalpa is scary ? I agree Kai Tak was scary.

4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would add Charleston, West Virginia, CRW. It's on a flat-topped mountain. If you come in a tad low, you smack into the mountain. If you cannot get adequate lift, you fall off the other side of the mountain.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  5. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second addition would be ABO, Aspen-Pitkin County airport. Fortunately, almost all ships in/out are STOL, as one has to drop over the mountains, then drop quickly to the runway. If one does not get lift, the smack into another mountain. Now for the faint-of-heart.

6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    not a major airport but the former Meigs Field on the Chicago lakefront could be more than scary if winds were high

I have taken a flight there where the pilot attempted to land 6 different times (while being blown around like a mosquito) before finally landing :eek:

7. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... They included closed airport and did not include Innsbruck (INN, LOWI)?

8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Aspen just had an issue - http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/small-plane-crashes-at-aspen-airport.78571/

I always hated to fly into, or out of Aspen.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you mean ASE since ABO is in Ivory Coast (Africa). ;)

I always loved flying into Aspen on the Dash 8s when Mesa operated these from PHX & DEN. My favorite visual was the Roaring Forks into ASE as they did the 180 degree right turn and landed into ASE.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of these qualify, but some are strange. of the ones I have flown myself as a pilot:
    DCA is certainly NOT scary, as already pointed out here; picturesque certainly, but not scary.
    CGH-Congonhas is urban, certainly, right in Sao Paulo, but it is NOT scary at all. before the runway was grooved it could be challenging in wet weather in a large aircraft, but not scary.
    The old HKG, Kai Tak, had a very unusual and challenging curved ILS approach which i was lucky enough to fly a few times. It was demanding, and could be nerve-wracking for passengers to look into apartment windows at slightly above flight path. If the approach was not nailed people could die, but pilots were very cautious and it was exciting rather than scary from my perspective. Still, including it would not be a mistake.
    OTOH, the scariest single airport from a pilots perspective is one that should be scary and should be eliminated IMHO. That is SAN, Lindbergh Field San Diego. The reason is that jets taking off must do a severe power reduction immediately after liftoff. That is not aerodynamically dangerous, but the deck angle shifts so as to completely eliminate forward vision, just as you're passing through a very dense area for light aircraft passing. It is a matter of time until there will be a midair collision there unless that procedure changes. That is terrifying! I refused to fly out of there in any jet after I did it once.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  11. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops. Not sure where "ABO" came from - you are correct, ASE. I mean those keys are not even close. Duh!

Thanks.