World's rudest countries for Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anileze, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to CNN - A Skyscanner poll reveals that French, Russian and the Brits take the top honors in being rude :) And the Philippines, the Caribbean Islands and Brazil, the least.

Yet, inspite of these surveys, France is the number one destination for tourists, and London is amongst the top most tourist destinations :)

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rudest locals and service staff I ever encountered were in Geneva. If you're not wealthy (or dress/act like it) and you don't speak their fake French, they're very rude. At least, that was my experience.

MX, Newscience and anileze like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:

Hmmm, according to this poll:

Here are the 10 rudest countries on Skyscanner’s list:
    1. France
    2. Russia
    3. United Kingdom
    4. Germany
    5. Others
    6. China
    7. United States
    8. Spain
    9. Italy
    10. Poland
    I had some concerns about this listing. #5 = Others. What the heck does that mean?

And #7 is the US. O.K., does it matter what part of the US one visits to give a "rude" rating? Oh, well, a poll is a pole! :rolleyes:

anileze likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surveys like these only tend to perpetuate stereotypes.

Interesting... I have been to Geneva about 4 or 5 times in say the last ten years and I never once encountered any rude people... Perhaps I am secure in my mannerisms and dress not to notice what others think about it.:) As to my French I am pretty sure it most certainly fits the designation of being fake:D

I guess I been very lucky in all my 3+ decades of travel to encounter few rude locals and I would further to say that three of my very best experiences where locals have provided us unsolicited assistance way beyond the call of duty has been in that much maligned country of France.

From my perspective I always believe that people react to the persona you present to them and most of my unsavory encounters have involved other tourists with our fellow Americans (followed closely by the Chinese) topping the list.

MX, LETTERBOY, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Each island, or each destination and its residents have a list of theirs - bad tourists. And, visitors a.k.a tourists have their own list - Rude residents.

Cancun has it's grouse with Spring-Break Americans (...and now Charter packaged russians taking over) and, the Greek Islands with their ever drunk British tourists. The lists go on... :)

LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting the way that hordes of drunk and rude British males have replaced the hordes of drunk and rude American males overseas! :(

When I was in Krakow earlier this year, the biggest problem with going to a nightclub there was the obnoxious drunk and rude young British males, who ruined the experience for all! :mad:

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it packaged charters that attract the vast groups of tourists ? Or, is it something else ?

Newscience likes this.
  8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Met a few Brits' in Vancouver a few months back, rudest people I've ever talked to. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Newscience likes this.
  9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    France, absolutely. In all my times there I've never encountered a nice person. UK I'd have to disagree with; I rarely encounter rude people when there (or I have just been fortunate). Friendliest place is Italy. :)

anileze and Newscience like this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    During my travels within the US, I've very rarely encountered rude people. I've only been outside the US twice, both times to the UK. And while I never got more than a couple of hours from London, most everyone I came into contact with was polite and/or civil.

As an American, I'm not sure if I should be relieved by this fact or not. :D

anileze, MSYgirl and Newscience like this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Follow the Spring-Break crowd (but keep a healthy distance) into Cancun (or Florida) from Feb-April. If driving, avoid roads connecting hotels, bars, pubs, and keep off the curbs. Legal age for drinking in Cancun is 18 :D

Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, for that matter, the big glitzy Las Vegas hotels should probably be avoided as they often attract drunks and fools like flies to carrion! :eek:

anileze and Sammich like this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)quote="MSYgirl, post: 2208849, member: 133422"]France, absolutely. In all my times there I've never encountered a nice person. .[/quote]

Good job .. discussions such these always advanced by overgeneralizations
    So in your way of thinking all the 66 million people in France are rude?:rolleyes:
    Just out of curiosity how many times have you visited France? Have ever being outside of Paris? and more to the point why did you go (more than once? )

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  14. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been there a few times and outside of Paris as well, and I go for the architecture and art. I do not believe every person in France is rude, I simply stated I have yet to meet one of the opposite. Paris acknowledges the issue and is working on it.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been to LAS during Spring Break ;) Maybe there are hotels in LAS that encourage under age drinking by the firehose :)

16. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's "fake French"?

I was there with my kids last summer (a 2-hour layover turned into an overnight one... not by choice!) and didn't think anyone I met was rude. I certainly didn't fit the bill looking wealthy the way I was dressed, but people gave me good service anyway. I even stopped a woman on the street to ask directions and she kindly told me where I had to go. No problem whatsoever.

LETTERBOY and Garp74 like this.
  17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Garp74 is referring to the fact that the "Swiss version of French" is -- like the Swiss version of German -- rife with its own way of pronunciation and its own words. Thus, it doesn't take more than a few words in either language for a Swiss to tell if you're not Swiss.

I haven't been to Geneva often enough to learn how friendly residents there are, but my experiences with the Swiss in Zurich have always been quite positive.

anileze and Garp74 like this.
  18. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that Swiss French and standard French were mostly the same, with only minor differences, wheres Swiss German is basically a separate language from standard German.

anileze likes this.
  19. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's unfortunate MSYGirl as I have the opposite experiences and just returned from another wonderful trip, although I did have a run-in with a gypsy woman who tried to separate me from my money but I give her an A for effort.

Let me say my first trip to Italy was simply awful as far as rudeness and abrupt or non-existant service but I was there 1 week ago and enjoyed every interaction the entire week.

Counsellor, anileze and MSYgirl like this.