Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    nime01, uggboy and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can easily say I won't be staying in any of those hotels in my lifetime... That is unless I win the lottery :). .... Or if someone else's paying :D

3. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Porto Cervo, Sardegna is one of the most expensive places in Europe.

nime01, jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  5. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to 0/10 ... don't see that number going up any time soon! Porto Cervo looks beautiful though, didn't even know about it until I read this post!

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to one, La Reserve, but I don't remember it as particularly expensive. This was when the dollar was very high.:)

nime01 and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Expenses? WOW with this price tag for a double room, a night!:cool:

nime01 likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have not had the fortune nor my better half to stay at any hotel on the list!:confused:
    Hope however that our dream of Sardinia and Porto Cervo comes true in our lifetime!:) Having said this, we would not mind to stay in any of them!;)

nime01 and jmrich1432 like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are some of the world's most expensive places on Sardinia you can visit today, Porto Cervo is a celebrity, high roller, super yachting estate of mega famous hotels with the finest and rarest belong to Starwood's Luxury Collection. I have read reports over the years from these hotels which cost up to 25000 US$ a week in a double room on Full Board and yacht charter!:cool:

nime01 and jmrich1432 like this.
  10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you use SPG points for them? I'm new to SPG so I'm genuinely wondering. There's a lot more I would do with $25k than spend a week at a hotel, even a gorgeous one! :p

nime01 and Jimgotkp like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand they have only limited participation in the SPG program in Cat. 7 from 30 000 points // night when available! This would be for the Sheraton managed Cervo Hotel. But it looks more like this in Starwood's own words from their website for all other hotels in Porto Cervo:

"Due to the unique nature of this property, SPG Award nights may only be booked through your local customer contact center.

Any Free Night Award nights for July and August are high season nights and include a standard room and mandatory full board. This requires a higher Starpoint cost to cover the mandatory full board. The Starpoint cost for 1 or 2 people is 140,000 Starpoints per night. The Starpoint cost for 3 people is 185,000 Starpoints per night.

On nights outside of July and August, full board is not included and a standard room is at 70,000 Starpoints per night."

"which are all Category 7 properties, ranges from 60,000 to 140,000 Starpoints depending on the hotel, its category, its room types, the time of year, and/or its mandatory requirements. Redemptions at these hotels must be booked through your local customer contact center".

jmrich1432, nime01 and Jimgotkp like this.
  12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy cow! :eek: I would rather use the points elsewhere!

jmrich1432, nime01 and uggboy like this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is indeed amazing stuff! :oops:

nime01 likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also a bit of a pain to get to and from Sardinia so that going for a single night would not be easy or wise. OTOH, I would prefer to avoid full board, even at very luxurious hotels. HMMMMM, 140,000 points for two nights is still a lot more than the number of points I think I would be willing to spend here in shoulder season. I'd rather do several five-night stays in different Category 5 properties, for example, or visit some very impressive Category 6 hotel for a while.

15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full board would be compulsory for the top hotels offered in Sardinia in July // August.
    Overall, indeed it is a very different destination for many reasons incl. getting there which can be really very difficult and is not recommended for very short stays eg. 1 night! The points required can be indeed better invested in Cat. 4 // Cat. 5 // Cat. 6 hotels.:)

nime01 likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can stay in Sardegna without spending anything close to the money being talked about here and also far nicer places. Porto Cervo is completely overrated, and you can forget it unless your yacht is >35m (absolutely mininum). I would really skip Porto Cervo and enjoy other parts of Sardegna- also avoid August and go in September when crowds and prices are halfed. There is a good story about some Russian kids who were at the discoteca Billionaire (yes that is the name) in Sardegna and managed to run up a bill of ~100K EUR and then ran out of town on their 75m yacht:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/22/russians-bill-sardinia-billionaire-nightclub

Enjoy your vacation in Sardegna- just pass on Porto Cervo.

jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a big island with several airports and some towns with traffic jams. A rental car can be useful for exploring. There are hotels in all different price categories, including those right on the beach. As mentioned earlier, I would certainly avoid compulsory board plans and try local restaurants.

Quite honestly, going back is not on the top of my list of places or even islands where I'd like to go next.

uggboy likes this.
  18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to the strong Yen, the Gora Kadan does cost at least $1260 (no $1450) for two people for a night -- but that price includes a spectacular dinner and breakfast for both people. Furthermore, it is not the most expensive in ryokan in Japan. But a high end kaiseki dinner in Japan can easily cost $250 a person, so clearly this is an unfair listing.

If they got this wrong, I wonder how many of the others they also got wrong.

uggboy likes this.