World's airlines pocket just £2.62 ($4.00) per passenger

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1184820/worlds-airlines-pocket-just-262-per-passenger/

Thought the airlines were making a fortune? Think again. According to Tony Tyler, the head of the International Air Transport Association, the biggest carriers from countries around the world are making just $4 profit per passenger.

Speaking at the IATA summit in Cape Town, Tyler said that even this paltry sum was a massive improvement on the 2011/12 period, when the figure was more like $2.50.

He said: ‘Generating even these small profits under current conditions is a major achievement. The price of fuel, our largest cost item has increased 55% since 2006 and we continue through the greatest period of economic stress since the 1930s.’

The figures go some way to explaining why the food on bigger airlines is so ghastly and non-food-like, and also why carriers such as Ryanair have considered introducing ‘a-pound-a-pop’ loo fees. Or ‘standing seats’. Or cattle prods.

Read More: http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1184820/worlds-airlines-pocket-just-262-per-passenger/

uggboy likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note to self: ensure that airline stocks are never in my portfolio,

uggboy and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also try to help them out a bit, Check a few bags, by a $9 sandwich. :D

uggboy likes this.
  4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    as much as i hate to admit it, i do on occasion buy the snackboxes/sandwiches in flight. hunger and lack of time trumps common sense on travel days :(

5. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here... plus the food is sometimes more decent than what you find in the terminal. The cheeseburger on AS is quite good (for what it is).