World's 50 best restaurants

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/04/worlds-50-best-restaurants/165561/1

Every year, San Pellegrino water sponsors a contest and names the world's best restaurants. It's pretty prestigious.
    This year, for the second year in a row, top honors go to an eatery few outside Europe have heard of. No, it's not in a renowned foodie destination such as Paris or the rest of France, or Italy or Spain.
    It's Noma, an eatery in Denmark, where you can feast on "New Nordic" cuisine featuring the freshest North Atlantic fish, local berries, vegetables and other produce prepared in creative ways under the supervision of chef Rene Redzepi. Think razor clams with horseradish and buttermilk, with fresh clam juice poured on. Be prepared to spend $300 or more for dinner for two (I peeked in when I visited Copenhagen, appreciated the minimalist-chic decor, but couldn't afford the tab). The restaurant also has two Michelin stars. Redzepi, of Danish/Albanian descent, is just 33 and worked for a bit at trend-setting El Bulli restaurant in Spain.

danimal, milchap, Horse and 4 others like this.
  2. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noma's seems like a place to try. Menu looks simple.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have also wanted to check out Noma's- but it was booked both times I checked- figure on reserving at LEAST 3 weeks out for Noma's. Looks great however.

sobore and milchap like this.
  4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding noma, it is pretty special. I've eaten there a couple of times - most recently in February. The food is innovative, with an emphasis on fresh flavors. All the food (except the wine) is from the Nordic countries, and a fair amount of it is foraged or otherwise obtained from unique sources. Very complex flavors, but light, rather than rich or heavy. Service is great, with the dishes being presented by the chefs, who offer a bit more information on the dish than you normally get from even a well-informed waiter. The wine pairings have been good in my experience. It is expensive, but not outrageous for the type of place it is.

Try 3 months. They take reservations at 10am, Copenhagen time, on the first of each month for 3 months away (e.g. September reservations can be made on June 1). The place is usually fully booked for the month within minutes. It is tough, but not as tough as Momofuku Ko or El Bulli. If you log on at 10am, and can be somewhat flexible, then you should be able to get a table.

sobore likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks travelgourmet! I had the "3" number in my head- however it is months, not weeks- seems logical given the huge buzz around this place. My travel plans are usually closer to 3 days :)