World Electrical Outlets Guide

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by MLW20, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind you may need a voltage converter in addition to an adapter. Even though you are able to plug-in with the adapter you may still need to properly convert the voltage. Most travel adapter kits contain the converter.
    I've had several friends lose hair dryers without using the converter. :eek:

MLW20, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of electronics (mainly laptops, cell phones) support voltage from 100 to 230 with different frequencies and will not need a converter. You can check those specifications on your device or it's power adapter.

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with a site like this one (http://electricaloutlet.org/) for a truly comprehensive guide to power outlet options. Much more complete and useful IMO.

rwoman, jbcarioca, msny and 1 other person like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used at least one of every type of plug adapter. The only non-universal voltage travel thing we have in my house is a hair dryer, but it is switchable. Just recently Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia began to give a very clever and simple plug adapter away to clients, and i now use that it preference to any other. It fits all of them including the notorious new Brazil one, which many adapters cannot fit. I have asked them where the got it so I can recommend it here,.

MLW20, rwoman and TAHKUCT like this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't trying to make the most comprehensive post about power outlets... I wanted to show the awesome image of all of the outlets with a little info added. I'll have to check out the electrical outlet.org site that you mentioned!

FlyingBear and effseeoh like this.
  7. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a related note the problem with some airline power supplies is that they're either low-powered like some empower configurations, or have sockets with limited access and some of the more bulky adapters won't physically fit in them. Sometimes you need a native extension cable in order to be able to plug in your "universal" power supply.

MLW20 likes this.