World’s worst major cities for travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jun 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    World’s worst major cities for travel

According to the Washington Post and based on a TripAdvisor survey, the worst major cities for travel are:

- Moscow (worst in almost every category measured, worst in hotels, taxis, citizen helpfulness and dollar value)
    - Mumbai (worst in street cleanliness, ease of getting around, overall cleanliness)
    - Marrakech, Morocco (family friendliness, helpfulness of locals, cleanliness, etc.)
    - Punta Cana, DR (culture, shopping, nightlife, etc.)
    - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt (culture, comfort while travelling alone, etc.)
    - Beijing (taxi shortage, smog, etc.)
    - Hanoi (public transportation, nightlife)
    - Rio de Janiero (low value for money and shopping)
    - Brussels (taxis and hotels)
    - Bangkok (cleanliness of streets)
    - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (taxis)
    - Copenhagen (value for money)

To read the article, see:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_gallery.html?hpid=z9#item0

Also note that posting this article is for information purposes only, and does not signify agreement with chronic complainers on the TripAdvisor survey!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    sobore, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Rio as poor value for money? I guess the key question here is compared to what? In that category it may fare less well than some South American cities but far better than many European ones. And things are often relatively pricey precisely because of demand -- the place offers something people want, at least relative to supply.

And Kuala Lumpur worst for travel? The complaint is seriously taxis? Use Uber. It's CHEAP. And if low value for money brings down Rio, shouldn't KUL get massively high marks here? Although if we're complaining I guess the airport is pretty darned far from the city...

estnet, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    KL taxis are not on my complaint list, and i am a frequent user. OTOH, you're the first person I have heard from who regards my home city as anything other than a blatant ripoff. My favourite pizzeria charges US$55 for my favourite choice. I'm not up-to-the minute on hotel prices but in most categories I find Rio more expensive than most large cities, on a par with Moscow, for example. Of course I find Moscow a fairly easy place to get around and one I like, including helpfulness. This list seems like most others to me. Some accurate some fairly grotesque. For sure i'd not recommend this list as guidance to the uninitiated.

Gargoyle, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally don't put too much stock in lists like these, and I don't think anyone else should, either. You can manipulate just about everything imaginable to make a city/country look good or bad.

5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would certainly not consider Sharm El Sheikh or Punta Cana a major city in any sense, this list completely fails before it begins :eek:

Cairo is a complete dump in every sense and certainly a major city, few places could be as big or worse than Lagos

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True! Lagos is not only huge and distasteful, it is also generally very expensive. However, we need only understand that this list emanated mostly from TripAdvisor responses. I use the site often, but understand that the responses found there are skewed by the respondents, nothing near to a statistical sampling. If I read the information there well, the typical response demographics shift slightly downscale and to casual travellers. That could explain the absence of Cairo and Lagos, among others, with the inclusion of tourist beach destinations such as Sharm el Sheikh and Punta Cana. It might also explain how Rio de Janeiro and Moscow come to be regarded as weak for restaurants, despite both having a broad selection of world-class eating establishments. Of course both also miss a great variety of ethnically oriented excellent places that do not have a large population in those cities. Neither is a hotbed of excellence for South Asian food for example.

Despite my earlier comments I think TripAdvisor is very useful for casual and leisure travellers, and I post there myself with my comments oriented to that audience. For most MilePointers it's nearly ridiculous to view such lists, isn't it? I wonder how we'd rank such things were we to do it?

7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too use TripAdvisor fairly often

I also assume the Washington Post has editors? :rolleyes:

8. thanes1

thanes1 Member

Status Points:
    Although I had a great experience in India and Asia as a whole. I have to say that New Delhi was a bit of a nightmare. The traffic alone would send many into a complete mental break. That coupled with the heat and congestion was enough for me to never want to return.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, "WaPo" has editors, but the format of this piece is a quick picture and scan-the-(light)reading on each location. It's likely a fluff piece to fill out the webpage.

I'll propose that, in general, Milepoint has considerably more sophisticated travelers contributing to it than does TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor is more widely used/subscribed to. And the comments there come from every type of traveler, and likely more of them originating from those who just don't travel very much. Let's face it, most of the trip reports posted on Milepoint are quite well written, and well worth reading, if you're headed to that location, or on that same airline, as the OP of the trip report.

O.K., I'm waiting for someone on Milepoint to post a query about the best/worst world cities to visit! ;)

FetePerfection likes this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It just may be that this list originated from the most uninitiated! BTW, isn't TripAdvisor one of the websites that has been accused of having people submit false claims of hotels having higher (i.e., 5* vs. 2*) ratings than they actually deserve?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another list compiled by someone who has never been to any of these cities.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like the rest of the Washington Post, then? :D

13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that the traveler(s) opining on TravelAdvisor did travel to the city mentioned, but may not have travelled to many other places in the world. Let's face it, many of these "lists" are the result of chronic complainers. And it's sure a good thing that we don't have any such animals here on Milepoint! :p

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    uggboy, jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. ahmed_mohamed

ahmed_mohamed New Member

Status Points:
    I don't think SHarm El Shiekh should be there on that list, I have been there this week and it was fantastic!

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in Moscow as I make this post. After being greeted pleasantly by the Immigration officer who whisked me through in seconds, picked up my bag that was already there ten minutes after landing, taking my pre-arranged car to my hotel which checked me in and gave me the happy hour passes that give a pretty sumptuous buffet that serves nicely as dinner but is free together with decent free booze...and so on.

Obviously Moscow should be on a bad list. I invariably disagree with much of what they find so I'd be disappointed if I agreed with this too.

As with several places, including several I posted about, seasonality is a big, big issue. prices and congeniality suffer when it is very crowded. Even though it is August and hot in Moscow, the city is hardly full. people are always helpful here, unless it is unhelpful that they do often not understand English even when you speak loudly and slowly.:rolleyes:

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great points! And screaming at someone in English only provides evidence of just who is the biggest fool! :p

anileze, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  17. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a silly list. I am no fan of Brussels or Moscow, but those surveyed have obviously never been to Africa where many cities would vie for inclusion. Lagos belongs at the top of the list.

anileze, jbcarioca and estnet like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Such a list without Lagos seems self-evident proof that this is a silly list.

anileze, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., is anyone willing to recreate this list of "the world's worst cities for travel", using their own experiences? Let's say the top 5 worst cities for travelers, if not the top 10.

But before such a list is compiled, it might be useful to define the criteria used to assemble such a list. For example, Donetsk would probably be on such a list today, along with cities located in "conflict areas" of the world. But what about cities that many business travelers or tourists travel to or through? Should all cities on this list have a major airport nearby (some tourist destinations are out-of-the-way)? What about major cities where a major source of income for the locals is either fleecing (and in some case, robbing) the tourists? Some of these cities are on many tourist's destination travel.

And so, a list of the "world's worst cities for travel" that (at least some) Milepointers can agree on will take considerable thought, consensus :rolleyes:, and most likely wouldn't originate from a TripAdvisor survey! ;)

anileze and uggboy like this.
  20. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marrakech, Morocco: I have video of a vendor calling me a killer and a criminal in the middle of Jemaa el Fna back in 2007. I didn't stick around to discuss the finer details of U.S. foreign policy with him.

Other than that it was great. :)

You should also be prepared for a lot of extremely persistent people continually trying to separate you from your money.

anileze likes this.
  21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the more appropriate list would be "10 cities I would not travel to" and "why :)"

Newscience likes this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! ;)

And why not: "these are 10 cities I would not travel to, based upon my personal experience, that was ____".

23. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently the WaPo has had some contractors writing odd articles that have too be link bait, like one calling Bikers Terrorists and another saying don't adopt animals from the shelter.. I think they must have some sort of desire to have such random poorly written articles that they get a lot of links and nasty comments.

Newscience likes this.
  24. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, So my first attempt to create a list of 10 in a thread here

Newscience likes this.
  25. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you're right, iolare! And I've been surprised at the level of very nasty comments on the Washington Post website for their articles and blogs. They really should watch them more closely...