Working on 1K after beeing close to CO Plat. 100k

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by btc, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. btc

btc

Hi folks,

first post on the new forum, be gentle.

Seems i am ready to hit 100k EQM on CO within the next few weeks. However i just thought about delaying it as i do not want to get those 2011 SWUs as soon as they issue them anytime mid 2011. Even if i do travel quite a bit in the remaining year and the beginning of 2012 i would prefer to stretch the validity of the new vouchers as long as possible into 2012. To accomplish that goal i currently plan to stop crediting all my non EUA-able segments into CO OP and credit them to UA MP instead. That should delay my CO OP 100k re-qualification and therefore the issuing date of those first six 2011 SWUs. While i am not sure if i will fly enough EQM to hit UA 1K as well those UA EQM will be combined with my CO EQM at the end of the year anyway so that i - if i am right on that - should get additional SWUs at the end of the year if my combined EQM amount is over 150k, 200k... in total. If i hit 1K on UA i should get 6 additional SWU making it a total of 12 instead of 10 by crediting the whole amount to CO OP.

Any flaws with that plan ?

edit: Qualifying for Pres. Plat is out of reach... :)

2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought CO's SWUs had a fixed expiration, unlike UA's which expire in a year.

Well before I get corrected for not being literally accurate, UA's SWUs expire on the last day of the month one year after they're issued. So technically, they expire after a year and a few days. ;)

3. btc

btc

The current batch of CO SWUs (4 vouchers/no booking class restrictions) does expire 2/29/2012. It is my understanding that starting this year combined UA/CO SWUs will be issued which carry a 12month+x days validity.

The thing i am uncertain about is if the "new UA" will really credit additional SWUs after the EQM merge or if you could only earn them by crediting regular EQM above the 1K/100k mark.

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, what is your present UA status?

if it's < 1P, It'd be a shame to give up bonus miles like that.

karung99 likes this.
  5. UA is now making the SWU harder to use by selling a lot of K fares..... the usefulness of SWU is being reduced.

6. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    There will be some changes in the months ahead, and I think you'll like them...

7. for sure I like your post! :) I have dumped AC after 10 years and been treated like a super star by UA for 7 years! I cant wait.. :)

8. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats a nice thought with regard to the value of this years SWUs, Am I correct in assuming the lack of DEQM in 2010, will mean a smaller 1K cohort , and the corresponding increase in benefits

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Strange travel pattern. You fly over half of your flights this year within the first 2 months? You loose out on 37.500 miles till you hit Premier Exec. If you think it's worth flying without status and loose the miles to earn 2 SWUs, rock on. I don't think it's worth it

10. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never understood this argument. Them selling K fares has nothing to do with the efficacy of SWUs.

On the other hand, if they're raising the prices of W fares, then yes, I can see why there would be a problem. You don't seem to be making that case, though.

11. Agreed, just because United has lower K fares, W is still usually a fairly reasonable class bucket. Just be happy we're not stuck with Delta's M fares to upgrade internationally (for reference sake, M on DL is almost full fare, earns an EQM bonus, and are in the 3-4k range on most flights).

12. i guess from YYZ we 2 years ago i never saw a K fare.... almost all the fares were upgradeable.... now its a lot more money to get a W fare.... :( so it really hurts my SWU.... i pay more to upgrade.

13. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    But are current W fares more expensive than the old W fares? If not, then there's really no difference, right?

14. yes... today a W fares are MUCH more expensive!

15. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. This is a good reason to feel that SWUs are devalued.