Woolen pants in hot weather?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Dovster, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds counter-intuitive to me but twice (once in Germany and once in Atlanta) I have been told by salesmen that light-weight woolen dress pants are actually cooler in summer than cotton.

The explanation given to me was that wool acts as an insulator and keeps out the summer heat. They insisted it was true no matter how hot the day. I have not, however, ever tried wearing them on warm --much less hot -- days.

I am about to visit LAS and ATL in August, and have to decide between cotton and wool pants. The wool has the definite advantage of keeping a better press, so I would prefer it if I am not going to get baked inside.

Has anyone here ever tried this? Was I told the truth or were the salespeople n both countries just telling me stories?

Also, in ATL and LAS (the cities, not the airports) are sandals and shorts acceptable everywhere, includng better restaurants?

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dov, not sure what the climate is like in the eastern end of the Med. But you will probably find that the clothes that you would normally wear in your home country would be appropriate in LAS and ATL. I have worn both in LAS and really find no difference if the pants (trousers) were wool or cotton. Also with the Heat in LAS, everyone else will be wrinkled.

Again, my experiences are for LAS. It just depends on the circumstances of the visit. Business would probably go with Wool (suit trousers) Jacket may not be necessary. However, in most Business settings Long Sleeves would be appropriate (plus. Here in the American Southwest, we have a tendency for Air Conditioning to be set to Refrigerate!). For a more casual setting, Dockers work well.

As to shorts and sandals, I always go by the Restaurants themselves. In most of the Casual Restaurants S&S would be okay. If the Entree prices are over $30 not so much. Definitely not for anything over $100 pp. You can always call the Maitre'D and ask about suggested Dress.

3. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    True tropical weight wool can be remarkably comfortable in the heat. I think it has as much to do with the thinner fabric (breathes well and light weight) as to any insulation properties. Linen is another option. Seersucker is my favorite, though.

Can't comment on Atlanta, but I think you should count on pants at the 'better restaurants' in Vegas.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to both of you. In Israel, we are complete slobs and wear shorts and t-shirts all summer even to the finest restaurants.