WooHoo! First time using credit card to purchase a 'free' seat

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by dhammer53, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just used 22,600 Citi ThankYou points to purchase a ticket on UA JFK/LAX on the non-stop. Cost of the ticket would have been $299 a/i. If I would have used my UA miles, this would have been a minimum of 25,000 miles. ;)

It's my first time using non-conventional means to burn and earn miles on a trip.

2. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this in August with points from the Capital One Venture Card Match My Miles promo. We got two round trip tickets Newark to San Jose, Costa Rica, and earned miles the whole way there and back. We also used the points for internal flights in Costa Rica, but didn't get miles on Nature Air. It always feels great to get free travel, and it feels even better to earn miles and points for traveling for free.

deant and cvsara like this.
  3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Capital One Venture Card doesn't seem to get a whole lot of respect around here, but that promo (I have 4 of those cards) and being able to put airline costs and getting miles from UA / AA for it, and being reimbursed for car rentals, parking, Hotels, makes this, for me, a very good card to use. Four trips to OGG last year, Two from ORD - SFO on the Cap One cards, getting status for BIS, and Venture paying the tab, just doesn't hurt at all.
    Tough to turn your back on a card that at the start, just hands you over $4,000.00

deant likes this.
  4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! It is such a good feeling. ;)

YULtide likes this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP, I'm sure somewhere down the line (unless you've done it already), a blog post will appear on www.mommypoints.com

SC Flier and mommypoints like this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations. I too have used both Cap One and Chase UR for some flight and car reservations and have found them to be a very good deal.

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For car rental, you might look at just booking through C1 - especially for Hawaii. I found that for some reason their Hawaii car rental costs, when booking through them, is significantly less than booking through the rental company or places like Costco.

cvsara likes this.
  8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably true, but as a frequent visitor to OGG I have my own 'beater pick-em-up' here, parked in the assigned parking slot at the condo. So it is the one place I don't need a rental. But good for the average visitor to know.

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a data point, my itn was showing on the UA website within a couple of minutes.

SC Flier likes this.