Woo Hoo! Going to Asia. Thanks milepointers!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LarryInNYC, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to thank all the milepointers who were so helpful to me as I was learning the ins and outs of booking AAdvantage awards. I'm now ticketed for 4 pax NYC -> KUL and BKK -> NYC for this summer. $8,100 worth of coach tickets for about $400 in taxes and fees (well, plus $600 I had to spend to top of my AAdvantage account —next time I'll plan better and make sure I have all the miles I need in my account).

Anyway, thanks again to DestinationDavid and all the other respondents who so patiently helped me out with beginner questions.

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, of course, if any of you will be at the New York event next month, it would be my honor and privilege to buy you a complementary drink (platinums may order call brands).

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your trip. You can squeeze in HKG in the trip and use Avios to transport yourself

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Already planning Bali (my wife and I have been there, but not the kids), Lombok, KL, Bangkok, Myanmar, and some island in Thailand yet to be decided. But already thinking ahead to North Asia for next summer (if I can find the right credit cards. . .)

5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Larry,

You're having one of those first time experiences. :cool: Enjoy.

6. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your trip! I wasn't around to help with the planning, but the vacation sounds great. Can't wait to hear about it.

7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on getting your trip planned and booked Larry.

8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it's going to be a great trip. Enjoy yourself, and don't forget to come back and tell us all about it! :D

9. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great! Should be awesome. I am headed to Lombok,Bali, kuala Lumpur and Penang next month, I will try and report back my experience!

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad it all worked out for you! Enjoy and consider doing a trip report for us!

11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be very interested in hearing about all those places (was in Lombok, Bali, and Penang years ago, never in KL). We will arrive in KL after 20 hours of travel jet-lagged and with two kids so we'll probably spend a day or two getting our Asia legs back.

12. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Penang!! I grew up there! Would love to go back!

13. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome destinations. Isn't it a thrill to get a deal like that? I'm excited for you!

YULtide, miles and smiles and Tenmoc like this.
  14. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very cool. You should have a great time.

Along the same lines, I am planning a trip to SIN via HKG (want a stopover for a few days). I have been having a lot of trouble finding award tickets on AA.com. There is an error msg. I used Qantas and found lots of seats are not available already in economy. We are traveling as a family of 5, but don't expect to find enough awards for all 5 and would pay for some of the seats. Any suggestions on where and when I should check? EF has lots of sears available as well. Looking to travel around December 6th...can be a bit earlier, but not later (wedding) and coming back any time from the 22nd through 29th.

miles and smiles likes this.
  15. chazas

chazas Active Member

Status Points:
    You need to call. AA doesn't fly to HKG or SIN, so you will be on one or more partners (probably Cathay Pacific). You can only book AA metal awards on aa.com, generally (with the current exception of AS).

Also, you can't have a stopover in HKG on an AA or all-partner award - stopover in the "international gateway" (where your international flight takes off or lands) only. So your award will either cost additional miles, or you'll have to book it as a oneworld award, which has different rules.

miles and smiles and Tenmoc like this.
  16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will be flying on either Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines (via NRT). My experience was that Qantas was the best availability tool. I don't know what availability for December is like, but it took a fair amount of searching (and routing flexibility) to find the seats we wanted this summer. But no tool was perfect and, even after coming up with a complex but available routing and calling AA to book, the agent checked and found something better I had not seen on Qantas.

Do not limit your search to NYC, but also search ORD, DFW, LAX, Vancouver, and Toronto. The constraint on the availability (at least in my case) was the trans-Pacific hop. If you can find availability there then call AA and have them help you find the domestic portion.

Note that using AA miles:
    1. You must route across the Pacific and therefore cannot use the much-more-available British Airways flights through LHR.
    2. You cannot have a stopover except at the North American gateway (and you may need to use that stopover to arrive one day and fly out the next if that's how availability shakes out). However, one-way is half the price of r/t so you can get awards for NYC - HKG and SIN - NYC and then get yourself between the two on DragonAir or other low cost carrier.

17. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the confirmation. I ha a feeling that was the case as I starting searching all the different tools. I think we'll do the two one ways which may be a better solution as we want to minimize the transfer as much as possible with the 3 youngsters in tow.

Tenmoc and miles and smiles like this.
  18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can actually arrange for stopovers or circle trips if you redeem the trip as a oneworld award, which just requires using two different oneworld partners.

19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only downside to this that I know is that you'll have to pay the $25 per ticket booking fee twice per person (once for each PNR). The agent who did my booking tried to join the two trips onto one record for booking (without my asking) but was unsuccessful.

Also (very important) you can put an award ticket on hold for five full days, and you can do this for multiple routings as long as you don't have two the same day with the same origin & destination. That way you can "grab" the seats when you see them while continuing to search for better routings, dates, or hoping that availability opens up.

20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus a 50% to 100% premium in terms of miles. Partner awards are 70K miles r/t to asia. A oneWorld award will cost at least 100,000 miles, perhaps more depending on the routing.