Wondering if AA/Hilton arrangement will change with AA Ch. 11

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the background: a great number of airlines used to participate in a "two-way" street with Hilton, allowing members to buy HH points with miles, or AA miles with points. The buy-points-with-miles side of the street has narrowed considerably over the years, and there seems to be in my view some relationship to airlines filing bankruptcy. With United, for example, the option to buy HH points with miles went away in 2003, about the time United went into you-know-what, and it doesn't look like it came back when UA finally emerged. In fact, according to the HH website, the only airlines (and rail company) that still are allowed as converting miles to points are:

American Airlines
    Amtrak
    CSA Czech Airlines
    Hawaiian Airlines®
    Icelandair
    Mexicana Airlines

Virgin Atlantic Airways,

and I really think someone just forgot to strike Mexicana from the list!

I'm wondering if AA will drop from that list now that it too has entered the Eleventh Chapter.

This is somewhat academic to me personally, since I have never bought HH points with anybody's miles, and don't plan to. I have gone the other way numerous times, and the list of eligible airlines in that direction is still quite substantial.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well . the option to convert AA miles to HH points already has gone away.. been a few months??now.

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    newbluesea, that is odd. The list of airlines I cut and pasted above, including American (and Mexicana!) is taken from the Hilton website today under the heading "Miles to HHonors points," along with this message:

"The HHonors Reward Exchange allows you to turn HHonors points into airline miles OR turn miles into points for fantastic rewards."

So I read your post and said, no, that isn't true, I just checked that this morning before posting. But then I went back to the Hilton site and despite it saying that, I couldn't see anywhere where it allowed one to actually do it. If they have taken it away months ago, do they simply need to update the wording I cut and pasted from? Odd. . . .

Kalboz likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it appears HH has not updated their site ala Mexicana.
    The AA to HH has been discussed (and confirmed by HH CSRs) in a thread on the MP Hilton board and FT.
    Not sure about the reverse however ie HH to AA miles.

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA's web site still says (I last saw it yesterday) you can earn Avios points on Mexicana. :rolleyes: You'd think someone would would've thought to update this by now. It's not like Mexicana is ever going to come back.

6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be fair, it is Hilton we're talking about here. ;)

Mike

icurhere2 likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So does the AA website. And JL. And AY. I'm guessing most of the OW members still list earning information on MX.

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, until MX either leaves OW, or is suspended by OW, then the contract is still in place. That corporation still exists as a legal entity, even though no flying is taking place at the moment.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The rumors of resurrection seem to have more life than the airline itself. We will see, but like most, I'm pretty certain MX will join the storied pantheon of deceased airlines.

mowogo likes this.
  10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not argue with you there. The main thing being the fight being that until the corporation ceases to exist, or is kicked out of OW, then they still have to reference the partnership, even with no flights.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems it's the other way around... now that they are no longer a transfer partner in that direction, they have entered the Eleventh Chapter ;)

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    just as long as they don't drop four chapters back!