Wonderful Private Guide - Chiang Mai

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Like many here, I plan vacations by myself and without an agent since I rarely pay for the flights or hotels. The problem can come with arranging for tours/guides. What I often do, and certainly did here, is Google for tours for the number of days I will be at a location, for example, "Chiang Mai itinerary three days". I usually come up with a number of tour companies, none of which I ever heard of! But I also begin to see the common sights that are a consensus among the tour companies.

With that information, and knowing what the companies charge, I contact the hotel and ask them to give me a quote for a private guide for the specific itinerary I provide (always being willing to accept helpful changes).

So with that background, you can appreciate that in the end, it's all a bit of a crap shoot! I do like the fact that since the hotel has recommended someone, they will stand behind their recommendation and that I have recourse if there is a problem. But you never know until you get going - will you understand this person? Will they merely be conveying information or do you sense that their mission is to ensure that you have a wonderful and informative experience. I guess most of all - do you like this person with whom you might be spending a number of days?

So obviously if you read the title of this thread and have gotten to this point, you know that we were thrilled beyond words over the three days we spend touring with our new friend Tana in Chiang Mai. She was both earnest and playful, a beautiful smile and a wonderful sense of humor - and, of course, extremely knowledgeable. That said, we've also had guides over the years who would simply not stop talking! It can be a fine line between enough information and way, way too much! After three days, we felt we could not have had a better welcome to Thailand nor a better guide to show us the way. We learned so much and had a simply wonderful time. Our cost was 2500 Thai Baht per day and that included Tana, the car and the driver. While it was only two of us, the van was certainly big enough for four tourists. For just over $80 per day, it seemed like the bargain of the century!

As I said here name is Tana and her email address is tanadolv1@hotmail.com. While we booked her through the Concierge at Le Meridien, she can be booked privately or, for those at the same hotel, I imagine you can request her. I can promise you that you will not go wrong.
    Thanks Tana!
    Below - Tana, my wife Helen and our driver, Chang
    Tana and Chang.jpg