Woman's trip to South Africa returns with surprise scorpion stowaway

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

Theresa Arnott of Manitoba, Canada returned home after a Christmas visit to her family in South Africa and found an unexpected guest. CBC news spoke to Theresa who recalled, "I went upstairs to clean the bathroom. I picked up my wicker basket next to the tub and lo and behold, there was this little black scorpion."

The traveler realized that the arthropod must have made the trip from South Africa as a stowaway in her luggage. “My clean clothes, I put it over the chair, and I didn’t hang it back in the closet until the next day. So he must have been in hide out in my clean clothes,” said Theresa. She estimates that the hitchhiking creature is 10 to 12 cm long and named it “Harold,” after Herolds Bay, the area she traveled to.

Newscience, sobore and Sammich like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Hitchhiking" scorpions are not that uncommon:

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-living/ci_24854861/scorpion-bananas-stings-grocer

If you're visiting an area where scorpions are commonly found, and out among them (e.g., on safari or camping outdoors) it's best to triple-check your luggage to ensure that you don't bring any home with you! :eek: Imagine the surprise that TSA would get! ;)

4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, here in AZ, we have to fight the little buggers, all too often. Even with a good "pest-shield" around the house, they do appear, with some frequency. Just like hiking in rattlesnake country, one sort of learns not to reach under anything, that has been sitting on the patio for more than a few minutes. And here, I thought that I really hated cockroaches in New Orleans! :eek: