Woman takes cab driver for a ride by reneging on $980 fare

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...r-a-ride-by-reneging-on-980-fare-9116556.html

Taking a taxi across states was always going to be expensive - but one woman backtracked on her decision to pay the extortionate fare.

Denise Rebelato took a 200-mile cab ride from New York to Boston and then told the driver she couldn’t pay the $980 (£597) fare.

The 31-year-old unemployed Massachusetts mother hailed a taxi to take her from John F Kennedy International Airport to her home in Framingham on Wednesday, the New York Daily News reported.

“It was the worst job ever,” cabbie Adnan Chaudhry told the Daily News.

He said that Rebelato, who had just returned from Brazil, had agreed to pay at least $850 (£518) for the journey and told him: “Money is not an obstacle.”

But Chaudhry claimed Rebelato was a nightmare passenger and screamed at him to go faster despite the fact that the roads were icy. He also said that she gave him confusing directions and called him a “moron” a number of times during the four-hour journey.

Read More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...r-a-ride-by-reneging-on-980-fare-9116556.html

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that was a bit naive on the taxi driver's part not to even ask to see if the woman had the money for the ride.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the post and the article it seems that he asked and she lied. Other than collecting in advance...not sure what he could have done (except decline the passenger in the first place).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    $980 for a 200 mile cab ride doesn't strike me as "extortionate."

WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's about $250 per hour. The cost of gas for 200 miles would maybe be about $30.

6. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I meant was to literally "see" that she had the money. Just asking if she had it and not even bothering to make sure that in fact sha had close to a thousand dollar cash to pay for the ride was what I consider naïve.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the meter was running, at NYC's $2.50/mile, that's $500. And you have to double it since it's an out of town trip, so you start with $1000 right there. That's with no waiting time for lights and traffic and no tolls, which is extra on the meter. So it's certainly right up there with the metered rate.

Now, out of town you don't have to use the metered rate, but still, it's not quite that simple. It's easily a 3 1/2 hour drive -- probably 4. And you can't take a fare back to NYC, so you have to double that to 8 hours since you're really working 8 hours. Using the IRS rate of $0.56 that $224 for mileage alone, then you have your time, tolls... it adds up.

WilliamQ, flyforawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    i would think for a fee that large a portion would have been collected before starting out.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. I would choose to fly though or worse case, rent a car myself and drive

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Show me the money! Show me the money!"

11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many a land lord let a tenant move into a 100k house for 1,000 security deposit, and never pay rent, the court will take 3 months to evict, then the owner find all his appliances missing,

Then their is the old dine and dash...

Cabbie has to dead head back, I can see his point for the fee.

Sound like the woman is in the entitled class, and the driver should have done it for free.

God Bless, the new America.

LETTERBOY likes this.