Woman Sues Delta Air Lines Over Pet Deaths

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, May 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpps/ne...s-over-pet-deaths-dpgonc-km-20120527_20269739

A Utah woman who is suing "pets first" Delta Air Lines for $4 million says three of her 11 dogs died after being penned in a plane's storage area in temperatures of up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius).

Barbara Burgett, a former vet tech, said she paid $250 apiece in 2008 to fly Hector, a six-year-old French Bulldog, and 10 four-month-old puppies from Hungary to Salt Lake City with a layover at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

"I had never shipped dogs from out of country before," she said. "[Delta claims to treat pets] as precious cargo. I felt they'd be treated like gold."

Read More: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpps/ne...s-over-pet-deaths-dpgonc-km-20120527_20269739

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought there were temperature limits for shipping animals...I know a friend who had to time getting her dog from ORD to LHR because of this...

zphelj and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel so sorry for this woman. I couldn't imagine loosing my one and only baby girl (wiener dog) in transport.

4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    wiener dog= dachshund ???

Shouldn't the male dachshund be called the wiener dogs:)

5. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to know the entire story behind this. That's rough losing your dog and her puppies. On the other hand shipping that many 4 month old puppies seems kind of risky. It almost seems like Delta should have denied the shipping and the lady should have known better. It's hard to say without knowing more info though and I've never had to fly my dog anywhere.

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yep, wiener dog = dachshund

I guess you are right, the female dachshunds should be called no-wiener dog. :)

mht_flyer and euromannn like this.
  7. phraktur

phraktur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I would be devastated to lose my pet, the passenger, who is supposedly a former vet tech, should have known about the high risk involved in the air transport of French Bulldogs, a brachycephalic breed of dog that some airlines refuse to transport because of the high risk of death during flight. The dogs may have been "treated like gold" during the entire flight (unlikely, but we will never know), but it isn't the fault of the airline given this breed of the dog.

8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Female dachshund should be called the winner dogs!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    All sorts of limits. Here's the current list. I'm sure there was something similar when this occurred. So .. something doesn't add up with this story.

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and my friend's dog is a husky and they lived in Chicago, so it's not like Snow cannot handle the cold...:)

11. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to run a dog rescue and I ONCE allowed an adopter to have their new family member flown via Delta. It was a Cocker, not a brachycephalic breed by any stretch. The temp in both locations was in the 60s-70s. The dog who LOVED her crate and was a very well adjusted dog in every sense arrived a neurotic mess who freaked out whenever she even SAW a crate. She also developed severe separation anxiety as a result of the trip. NEVER let your pets be flown. There are countless horror stories out there, at least half are probably true.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did the TSA give her a secondary? That could explain it. :p

circi and LETTERBOY like this.