Woman goes undercover to get her laptop back

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...er-to-get-her-laptop-back/Content?oid=3652221

"Bags Fly Free." The three magic words, splashed across Southwest Airlines' promotional materials, sounded like a sweet deal to Ambre Boroughs as she boarded a return flight from Chicago's Midway International Airport to Charleston International Airport.

On Boroughs' initial flight to Chicago, the cabin had been packed to the gills. With no space for her laptop bag in the overhead compartment, she had endured an uncomfortable flight with it either on her lap or under her feet. Before getting on the flight back home, she decided she would take Southwest up on its offer: Every passenger's first two bags fly free, as long as they weigh under 50 pounds and are no more than 62 inches in size (length plus width plus height).

"I felt a little bit nervous about it, but not really," Boroughs says. "I figured if something happened, it would be handled."

As the office manager at Palmetto RV in Mt. Pleasant, Boroughs uses her personal computer to handle customer invoices and sensitive employee information including Social Security numbers. She cannot afford to lose her laptop.

So when Boroughs picked the computer bag up from the baggage claim conveyor belt in Charleston late at night on March 27, she was shocked to find her laptop was missing. She rushed to the Southwest Airlines kiosk, but the attendant seemed uninterested in helping her out. Hers was the last flight of the evening, and the worker was about to go home.

"She very quickly told me that Southwest did not cover laptops," Boroughs says. "She said, 'Why would you check your laptop?'"

Read More: http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...er-to-get-her-laptop-back/Content?oid=3652221

bonnerbl, uggboy and alohastephen like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to call Page 26 the "common sense" page of any carrier's CoC. Anything that far back is lawyers covering for the company, but not really new revelations. Really, why would anyone think the carrier is going to cover your laptop or Aunt Gertrude's porcelain collection that you put in a checked bag?

rajuabju and cordray2643 like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if I was her manager, she'd be fired now... for double stupidity. First for checking her laptop with sensitive information and second for going to the press with this.

icurhere2, rajuabju and cordray2643 like this.
  4. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one time, I checked 6 gold bars into a WN flight... and then WN lost my bag. Not covered. I was pretty upset. /sarcarsm

Glad she got her laptop back though I guess

5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same thing - if I buy an RV, it's not going to be from Palmetto RV. What kind of outfit requires the office manager to store SSNs on a personal laptop?

My personal experience with WN is to not check bags anymore. My one checked bag has been misrouted on my last two WN flights. And those flights were non-stops.

6. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not THAT difficult to hold your laptop on your lap or UNDER the seat in front of you. Not sure why she isn't taking responsibility for what she did in the first place. Especially if sensitive information is on your laptop. I wouldn't want my computer to be handled in the baggage area at all for fear of all of the throwing around that would occur. Definitely a case of *shaking head* over this story.