Woman boards plane with knife TWICE but TSA plays it down because explosives are 'biggest threat

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...losives-biggest-threat.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

An Indianapolis woman was shocked to discover she had been able to board a plane with a three-inch knife in her carry-on bag not once, but twice.
    Sara Gallienne had not realised the blade was in her luggage until she got home.
    But that hadn't stopped her successfully carrying it through TSA checkpoints at both Richmond and Providence, Rhode Island.

JohnDeere19 and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They should allow 3" knives anyway- we get bigger ones with our meals in F on some airlines, so the airline clearly doesn't consider them a threat.

(at least it's not a threat in the front cabin :) )

JohnDeere19 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the common-sense answer, but the TSA embraces a risk-avoidance model, where they would like everyone to think NOTHING slips by them. That's how innocuous incidents like this turn into news.

JohnDeere19 and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont even bother to separate my liquids anymore. I used to forget to take them out, no one said anything. So in the carryon the stay.

JohnDeere19, savydog and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, how about box cutters? Can we have those?

The real security comes from a) reinforced cockpit doors, b) aware passengers and crew. TSA barely enters into the picture. The shoe bomber and the Christmas bomber were stopped by passengers.

JohnDeere19 and savydog like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    you are absolutely right. TSA has made absolutely no positive headlines about thwarting an attack. Its been law enforcement / fbi intervention. TSA does a great job at stopping water bottles and tweezers though and touching children inappropriately. they can be proud of themselves.

JohnDeere19 and savydog like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel around with this in my luggage. If they ask, I just say it's a kids toy.

[​IMG]

JohnDeere19, savydog and kyunbit like this.
  8. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went through the New Orleans airport once not realizing that I had a multitool (pocketknife, wine opener, etc) in my bag. They didnt say anything. I didn't find it until I got home. However, they did pull my friend (who had a middle eastern name) aside and take her to a private room for a full search, despite her not having anything suspicious whatsoever. This was about 3 years after 9/11. Oh, good ol' TSA

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to take them out once and they just told me to remember to take them out next time...:confused:

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.